Autumn Onions not doing too well :(

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autumn Onions not doing too well :(

I planted quite a few onion sets during the autumn and also some onion plants and they were all winter hardy however they all seem to be struggling. Anyone got any ideas of what I could do? Im thinking of taking them up and just replanting the space with ones from the spring instead as they look a mess at the moment
    Visit my blog at: marksallotment20162017.wordpress.com

I think your expectations may be a wee bit high Mark. The best you can expect at this time of year is a good root base and a touch of green up top. Once the soil warms up they will start motoring

Comment

When you say struggling, what do you mean? As AP said perhaps you are expecting too much at this point of the year. I give mine a bit of a boost with some pelleted chicken manure once the weather warms up and they start to grow.

Comment

Can you post a picture? i planet a few in Autumn and they only have 2 inch of green above soil at the moment if that helps you decide?

Comment

They only get the roots established,and a few green shoots before the winter sets in,the bulb goes soft and gives the impression ti's rotting,just leave them be and keep weeds down,when the weather warms up,you will be suprised at just how fast they will grow,in the past i have had the odd few whose green tops vanished,just to regrow again,
          Last edited by lottie dolly; 02-02-2015, 05:03 PM.
          sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Originally posted by lottie dolly View Post
            They only get the roots established,and a few green shoots before the winter sets in,the bulb goes soft and gives the impression ti's rotting,just leave them be and keep weeds down,when the weather warms up,you will be suprised at just how fast they will grow,in the past i have had the odd few whose green tops vanished,just to regrow again,
            As the sets I planted autumn last year were the first ever vegetables Ive tried to grow....naturally I've become a bit curious/impatient so I pulled one of the bulbs a few weeks ago to have a look. I have a good bit of greenery above each bulb so I knew something had gone right but as you say the bulb looked mushy and I felt like throwing the towel in as I thought I'd cocked it up.
            Thankfully Ive read your post before pulling the lot up and I look forward to the spring and summer sun to get them back into life.
            Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Lamboluke View Post
              As the sets I planted autumn last year were the first ever vegetables Ive tried to grow....naturally I've become a bit curious/impatient so I pulled one of the bulbs a few weeks ago to have a look. I have a good bit of greenery above each bulb so I knew something had gone right but as you say the bulb looked mushy and I felt like throwing the towel in as I thought I'd cocked it up.
              Thankfully Ive read your post before pulling the lot up and I look forward to the spring and summer sun to get them back into life.
              Cheers
              Thats great,saved of your produce,it is also usual to have some fail,as wendy c said,you could also give a boost to them
              sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Here is a photo which was taken earlier today

Here is a photo which was taken earlier today
                Attached Files

Comment

Looks about right for this time of year.

Comment

It looks as if I am going to have quite a few gaps though

Comment

sow some french marigolds in a few weeks and grow them on to plant where there are gaps. Marigolds are ideal as companion plants with onions keeping the onion root fly at bay.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X