No announcement yet.

Newly purchased raspberries. Prune now?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newly purchased raspberries. Prune now?

I've just purchased 3 raspberry canes for £2.50 from aldi as I know a lot of people will have.
    The type I have are autumn bliss. I've potted them up individually in decent sized containers at the existing soil level.

They were showing signs of new growth on the canes when I bought them but from reading about im under the impression I need to cut the canes down to pretty much ground level at this time of year.

Just seems a bit drastic as I've only just planted them. Does it matter? Shall I cut them down now?

Thanks

Originally posted by Lamboluke View Post
    I've just purchased 3 raspberry canes for £2.50 from aldi as I know a lot of people will have.
    The type I have are autumn bliss. I've potted them up individually in decent sized containers at the existing soil level.

They were showing signs of new growth on the canes when I bought them but from reading about im under the impression I need to cut the canes down to pretty much ground level at this time of year.

Just seems a bit drastic as I've only just planted them. Does it matter? Shall I cut them down now?

Thanks
    yes, cut them down now. I'd cut to about 4ins as they're new.
    They won't give you a lot of fruit this year, but they'll be making lots of roots as well , ready for the year after

Comment

Good job I asked as I'd have just left an inch. Any reason for leaving 4? Appreciate you say as they are new but just wondered for what reason, to assist in supporting the new growth maybe?
      Thanks!

Comment

Leaving a few inches should make sure there are some viable buds for regrowth. In future when the roots are actively growing there will be plenty that can break into growth when you cut to ground level.
        This may not be so with newly planted canes, as sometimes the bottom buds get knocked off in store, or while planting.

It's just my cautious nature

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to explain your reasons. Makes perfect sense now .

Comment

I bought and planted 20 Autumn Bliss early last year same as you, i left a foot of stem and got a few berries in the summer, and an half decent crop october/november, i cut them down only last week,new growth was already showing it's face.

Comment

I also thought that was a wonderful explanation, so thank you in advance for when I come to get new raspberries!
              Waiting to get to the top of the allotment list!
              Small garden gardener!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X