Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bush variety tomatoes

Hi all

Could anyone recommend a good, reliable bush variety of tomatoes that can be grown in hanging baskets or pots

Thanks
    Ant

I always grow a few Gardenpearl (aka Gartenperle) and find them reliable

Comment

I've done well with Red Robin - manageable size plants that produces a good crop

Comment

Principe borghese, red alert or Cyril's choice for bush varieties in pots. I'd use a tumbler in a hanging basket. Though I always grow a few cordons in pots too.

Comment

Original Tumbler......... not Tumbler Tom. Nice golf ball sized fruit, lots of them and IMO very tasty.

Couple of pic's of my hanging baskets.
          Attached Files
          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

If you want a tumbling type by far he best is Maskotka, I've found all the others rather tasteless. Grew Lemon Pear or something like that last year and they're werent bad too now I come to think of it.

Have now checked my seeds, turns out the variety I couldn't quite remember was Peardrop, think they came free with a mag
            Last edited by Alison; 29-01-2015, 07:33 AM.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

100s&1000s are brilliant, but you need to like very small tomatoes (I do).
              http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Hi all

Thanks for the response I bought maskotka in the end going to experiment with some in hanging baskets and some in pots

Atb
                Ant.

Comment

I always grow 3 Garden Pearls in my 30cm dia hanging baskets above the veg patch. Funny looking tomato in my opinion, but look nice on a plate mixed with a variety of other toms. On their own they are quite nice, but nothing to write home about... nice cooked tho.

To be honest, the only reason I haven't tried another basket tom is that I only started growing basket toms about 3-4 years ago and am still on my first packet of seeds. So I am watching this thread with interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Valleyman View Post
                    I always grow 3 Garden Pearls in my 30cm dia hanging baskets above the veg patch. Funny looking tomato in my opinion, but look nice on a plate mixed with a variety of other toms. On their own they are quite nice, but nothing to write home about... nice cooked tho.

To be honest, the only reason I haven't tried another basket tom is that I only started growing basket toms about 3-4 years ago and am still on my first packet of seeds. So I am watching this thread with interest.
                    That's a lot of tomato in a basket, I'd only put one in a basket that size.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Me too Alison.
                      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                        That's a lot of tomato in a basket, I'd only put one in a basket that size.
                        Sorry, I meant 3 baskets. Each with one in. Woops!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X