Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any one grown Red Baron Onions from seed?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any one grown Red Baron Onions from seed?

I believe they are Mr Fotheringuild (sp?)

Ive just planted some of these seeds for the first time and im keeping them on a windowsill in my conservatory to keep them warmer.

Ive put two seeds in each and plan to take out the weaker seedling.

It says to keep them moist, but not sure how moist is moist? The soil feels damp so dont want to add more water yet!

Has anyone had any success with these?

Any advice with them would be most greatful!

Thank you! x
    Attached Files

no but i,m about to have a go like you. i,m fed up with sets bolting every year. your setup looks o/k.to me i use a spray bottle and just damp them down. good luck. plumber.

Comment

They look a little bit wet, so let them dry out a bit, then damp them down with a spray bottle like Plumber says when they look dry.

I did these from seed last year and they did quite well - I've always grown from sets, but I got a packet of seeds in some offer or other, so thought I would give them a go.

All were big enough to eat and a few got very big.

Growing from sets is a lot easier but it's far more satisfying to grow anything from seed.

Good luck!
      Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

I'm growing them for the first time from seed this year too.

Got a packet free with a magazine and I'm pleased to say that I sowed the whole packet (new year resolution to be less mean with seed) on the first day of the year.
        Mine are just starting to hatch today
        http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Red Baron do very well from seed. When I sow mine, I sit the seed tray in a tray of water for a couple of minutes to let the compost take up some water. Thereafter, they will germinate best if you can keep them at around 18 degrees c 65 degrees f. They will germinate at a lower temperature but as I said, best at the temperature shown.

Super keeping onion and growing from seed does help avoid problems with bolting

Comment

I did onions from seeds a couple of years ago including Red Baron and they did quite well. I just sprinked them over a seeds tray and pricked them out. I did find it a little time consuming and took up space. I tend to go with sets mainly to free up time ans space as unfortunately I tend to have a lack of both.

Comment

I've not tried these before, but will be sowing some in the next couple of days. I wasn't sure about them because my red onion sets have always bolted before, but I'm encouraged by AP and Veggie's experiences, hopefully they'll be better from seed.
              My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
              Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

I grew red baron last year from seed and from set. (As an experiment).

For me, they both did 'reasonably' well.

Therefore I will only be planting red baron sets from now on....

but that was of course just my experience, there are probably multiple factors that will have affect on the end result....?????

Comment

That's great, thank you all :-)
                  you have all given me great hope! X

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X