Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• repositioning raspberries

Hello Everyone.

I hope some one can help. I have inherited 3 raspberry plants and I would like to move them from where they are as they are to close together. The problem is I don't know if they are summer or spring fruiting! When is the best time to move them and how much room will they need???

Thanks for looking.

Kevin

Hello Kevin & welcome to the jungle. You should be able to move them now. Plant them 1-2ft apart.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Hello Kevin and welcome.
      They'll be either summer or autumn fruiting raspberries. Don't worry too much at this stage! If they have a tall, healthy stem they're probably summer; if the stems have died back but there are small new shoots at the base, they're probably autumn fruiters.
      Cut off anything that looks dead, and dig up the root and healthy stems. Replant wherever you want them to grow

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
        Cut off anything that looks dead, and dig up the root and healthy stems. Replant wherever you want them to grow
        I would cut them "down to the deck" so that whatever grows next year is new suckers / shoots (and if Autumn variety they will fruit, if Summer they will not fruit until following year).

If Summer the canes trying to carry a crop will reduce the energy available to form a good root system. (Personally I would not let Autumn fruiter carry fruit in the first year either, for the same reason ... most? folk may not do that though )
        K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

2ft between canes, 5ft between rows and follow VC's advice re what to move

Comment

Be very careful to remove ever bit of root you see - or they'll regrow with a vengeance.
            I thought I had, but had to remove quite a few suckers during the next year or 2
            Last edited by Thelma Sanders; 30-12-2014, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Thank you for all your help,
              I shell be out there as soon as poss..I'm sure as the year gose on there will be more questions as I have a small cherry tree in a pot, a small fig tree in a pot and a small peach(I think) in a pot so I apologis now.

Thanks again

Kevin

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X