Crop to follow garlic

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crop to follow garlic

I think I'm about to give up and pull my poor wilted garlic from their two big containers. Can I use the same soil (with a little added growmore) to grow another crop and what would you suggest to follow garlic - I dont think it's diseased, just too wet after all that rain. I was thinking either carrots, lettuce or the igloo caulis just beginning to sprout in their tiny pots when they're ready for transplanting? Any thoughts gratefully received, as ever!
    Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Hi,i was going to post exactly the same question but you beat me to it??g
    goddess

Comment

Or you could try the 'Graffiti' cauli, sowable up until June. A lovely purple colour that looks amazing...i'm just sowing some myself
      Vegmonkey and the Mrs. - vegetable gardening in a small space in Cheltenham at www.vegmonkey.co.uk

Comment

Logically brassicas should follow legumes to take advantage of the fixated nitrogren.....which means legumes after roots I guess????

Is there still time to sow french beans? Autumn sown Broad beans or peas?

Having said all that, brassica's or legumes or quick growing salad crops should do fine if you practice a casual crop rotation as I do!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Mine's more than random - it's positively casual. Because I grow in a small area and I grow small quantities it's hard to do an 'official' rotation. I never follow like with like, I try to use the fixed nitrogen for something that will apreciate it - and mainly I take a photo ('cause I know I'll forget!) and work it out on the fly.

It's a wonder I get anything worthwhile - but I do!
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Okay, to make the most of the space, I think I'll go with a quick crop of lettuce then sow broad beans (my fav!) - will they have to live under the cold frame through the winter (I dont have a greenhouse), then this time next year I can use the container for brassicas to take advantage of the nitrogen - assuming the soil will still be fresh enough in the container by then? I tend to just use a sprinkle of growmore to help things along, then liquid feed through the summer? (Sorry this is digressing a bit but I need all the help I can get folks!).
            Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Originally posted by moggssue View Post
              Okay, to make the most of the space, I think I'll go with a quick crop of lettuce then sow broad beans (my fav!) - will they have to live under the cold frame through the winter (I dont have a greenhouse), then this time next year I can use the container for brassicas to take advantage of the nitrogen - assuming the soil will still be fresh enough in the container by then? I tend to just use a sprinkle of growmore to help things along, then liquid feed through the summer? (Sorry this is digressing a bit but I need all the help I can get folks!).
              Broad beans are very hardy and will happily grow through the winter outdoors!

Just make sure you pick the right variety though! I have grown Aqualunce Claudia and Epicure as autumn sown varieties this year and both have done me proud!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thanks Snadger - I have some Aqua D left from my March sowing so will use them later!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X