which rhubarb?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which rhubarb?

I think I'm going to get some rhubarb crowns but not sure which variety to get.

The Organic Catalogue is offering 'Victoria Rhubarb' or 'Champagne Rhubarb' - any advice on which is better for growing is Scotland, which has better taste, which is best for crumble puddings.

Hi E

I'm 99% sure I have Champagne Rhubarb in my garden that my Dad planted around 20 years ago... It's lovely and I'd recomend it.

That said I haven't tried any others, so other grapes may suggest other really nice varieties...?
    Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

eskymo why don't you grow both, make the crumble and send some down here and I'll let you know which one to keep?
      www.poultrychat.com

Comment

cheeky cheeky!

Comment

I have Champagne and Timperley Early growing on the allotments. Both are really nice but my vote would have to go to Timperley Early because my neighbours father bred the variety.
          [

Comment

LJ - I often wondered if it was actually from Timperley. The area, at the turn of the last century and well into the 40's, was mostly put over to market gardening - the land mostly being owned by the Marsland family. Is she a Marsland, or was it produced by someone else? Needless to say, I've got one and it's the one which has grown the most too!
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Timperley was a big market gardening area. Some of the farms are gone now - not built on but the fields are no longer planted up. I only know her married name but how did you know it was a she?
              [

Comment

Intuition??? Would be v interested to know if she is of the clan though!

Comment

His name was Harold Warburton.
                  [

Comment

I'm growing 'Timperley Early' rhubarb for the first time this year, it's supposed to be good for forcing but I haven't done this as it was a newly planted crown & I understand that you have to throw the plant away if you force it as it weakens it too much. Also been told not to pick any stalks off it this year but to let them all grow to build up the strength, very tempting though!
                    Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

LJ - yes, that was the other main market gardening family.Think the two families married each other. Nice to know - Thanks. Did a good job too 'cos it's a good variety! Must be nice to create something new like that.
                      SueA -I'd just let it settle this year and you'll be v pleased with it next year. I understand that forced rhubarb is grown commercially in dark sheds and picked by candlelight. The plants are not in soil, and when they have been cropped , the plants are thrown out.
                      Last edited by Nicos; 10-04-2006, 03:49 PM.

Comment

I though "champagne" rhubarb refered to the growing method used in the Yorkshire Rhubarb Triangle.

Brought on in fields, dug up, put in dark sheds, heated by coal fires and picked by candlelight. Giving a uniformly pale pink stem with a diddy yellow leaf on the end.

Sarah Raven featured the process on a GW special last year including I seem to recall them applying for EU regional protection for the name.
                        Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
                        Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
                        I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

Yes Peter- that's it!
                          I presume forcing like that is much the same as under a bucket although the champagne method perhaps would be even more tender as it's warmer?

Comment

Champagne is a variety of rhubarb.
                            [

Comment

As its Rhubarb harvest time, ones here that previous owner put in are nice but need some sugar which sort of defeats the healthy food angle, Im wondering what varieties you are growing that are the sweetest ?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X