Mahoosive purple sprouting broccoli plant

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mahoosive purple sprouting broccoli plant

Despite trials and tribulations with cabbage whites this year, one of my psb plants has grown to 5' tall and is sprouting already.

Is it okay to pick from it this early or would you leave it for a bit longer? It has a big central head, a bit like calabrese. I'm assuming this should come off first?

It is my first time growing psb.
    My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

I was picking it this time last year. Wish I was this year but mine are a bit behind. Yes to taking off the central bit. Sideshoots then start appearing and just keep coming. Congrats!
    http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Originally posted by sparrow100 View Post
      I was picking it this time last year. Wish I was this year but mine are a bit behind. Yes to taking off the central bit. Sideshoots then start appearing and just keep coming. Congrats!
      Oh, wow, thanks Sparrow100. That's really good news.

Comment

I think it should even be you should, even must pick it, otherwise it'll flower and then go to seed and generally be wasted. Pick it, cook it, eat it, feel smug, sit back and wait for the side shoots

Comment

Wow - well done thats nearly as tall as I am
          I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Pick it!! If it has got to that height I would stake it as high winds will knock it over.

Green with envy, love PSB
            Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy View Post
              Wow - well done thats nearly as tall as I am
              And a foot taller than VC

Comment

I never know when's the right time to cut my winter PSB, till recently found this blog with some helpful photos (scroll down) Based on these I think I've been harvesting mine too early.
                Mark's Veg Plot: Harvesting Purple Sprouting Broccoli

Comment

Originally posted by Greenleaves View Post
                  And a foot taller than VC
                  I'd need steps to reach that Noosner Pick and enjoy

Comment

We've been eating ours for the past 2 weeks!

brill isn't it?

* wonders if it will keep going through the Spring though or burn itself out ????
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by roitelet View Post
                      Pick it!! If it has got to that height I would stake it as high winds will knock it over.

Green with envy, love PSB
                      Thanks, Roitelet. Yes, I have staked it - I did it earlier in the summer when we got those high winds. It got quite a pasting then but perhaps it's a case of 'what doesn't kill you makes you stronger'!

Comment

Originally posted by WPG View Post
                        I never know when's the right time to cut my winter PSB, till recently found this blog with some helpful photos (scroll down) Based on these I think I've been harvesting mine too early.
                        eek!...now I'm wondering if we've been picking too soon too!...ah well- it's REALLY yummy!

Comment

Originally posted by WPG View Post
                          Thanks, WPG, that's an interesting blog, especially as you say, the photos. He seems to have let the spears get pretty well developed and numerous before harvesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                            We've been eating ours for the past 2 weeks!

brill isn't it?

* wonders if it will keep going through the Spring though or burn itself out ????
                            Well, yes, that was what I was wondering about picking it now. Oh well, we'll just have to wait and see I suppose! I think, having seen those photos that I might leave it for a teensy bit longer. The head is really well developed, but the side shoots nowhere near what's on Mark's plant.

Comment

To be honest I'd prefer to take them a bit young than let the pesky caterpillars etc much their way through them!

I only steamed mine for about 3 mins and they were a total flavour burst!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X