Quick and easy with leeks

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick and easy with leeks

Delicious and quick but not for the dieters best used for people like me - built for comfort not speed.
    3 - 4 leeks (or onions) finely sliced
    A bit of oil or butter
    Small pot of single cream
    Pinch of pepper
    2 - 3 oz grated cheese
    Thick sliced bread or part baked rolls/chiabata

Fry leeks/onions in butter or oil until soft
    Add cream and stir for about half a minute - add pepper.
    Take off heat
    Add cheese
    Mix
    Spread thickly onto your bread or rolls
    Put in oven 180 or G6 (or under a full heat grill) for about 15 - 20 mins untill bits are golden.
    Yum
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

That sounds delicious Lumpy, takes cheese on toast to a new dimension!
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Comment

Regional cheese is brilliant - I really like Wenslydale or Gloucester.
      If you want to 'posh' it up try Stilton or Shropshire Blue.
      You can also stuff big mushrooms with it - just put a hole in the bottom of the mushroom (it allows mushroom water and fats to drain out) cram as much in as possible - cover with foil and cook in the oven for 30 - 45 mins or until it looks cooked.
      I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Or use the same mix to stuff sweet dumpling squash before bunging them in the oven for fifty minutes.
        Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Now that IS a very good idea Mr Bones

Comment

I do something similar but omit the cream and stir in some flour while frying the leeks to thicken it and add a spot of milk to thin it down again.
            You can do this with mushrooms too.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy View Post
              Regional cheese is brilliant - I really like Wenslydale or Gloucester.
              If you want to 'posh' it up try Stilton or Shropshire Blue.
              You can also stuff big mushrooms with it - just put a hole in the bottom of the mushroom (it allows mushroom water and fats to drain out) cram as much in as possible - cover with foil and cook in the oven for 30 - 45 mins or until it looks cooked.
              I'll try your recipe will have to use bought leeks this year though mine all had allium leaf miner talking of local chesses our is Peakland Blue made in Hartington its a nice creamy Stilton.
              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

HFW does that lovely recipe in the little squashes.
                You can use low fat creme fraiche instead of the cream to lighten the calory load. I use a 4% fat one and feel positively saintly!

Comment

creamed leeks

saute your leeks, add 1 tablespoon of curry paste, cook for a couple of minutes then add double cream, warm through and serve, simples and lovely.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X