Beetroot in containers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beetroot in containers

Just wondering if anyone has tried, and succeeded, in growing reasonable size beetroot in containers.

I always get a crop, but they always appear to stop growing after reaching about ping-pong ball size (some don't even get that far). They take about 12 weeks to reach that size and when I don't have to re-use the pot, I try and leave them - but they don't seem to get any bigger. They taste great, but are very small.

Is it just a fundamental thing about them being grown in a container (i.e. a depth of soil issue) rather than anything else? I don't use anything shallower than 12 inches and I have tried various spacings.

Just interested to know if larger ones can be grown in this way.

Oh, by the way, I have tried...

Boltardy
    Forono
    Detroit 2 Tardel
    Red Ace
    Pronto

Looking forward to hearing your experiences...

I'm afraid I cant help but the one time I tried them in containers they were all approx ping pong ball size

Comment

Haven't grown beetroot in a container but there could be several things affecting the apparent growth stoppage at ping pong ball size ( which IMO is the ideal size anyway).
      What growing medium do you use - do you use multi-purpose or a loam based mix - John Innes No 1 would be a good bet. Also do you feed ? As you are growing them in a container, the growing medium, regardless of what you use will eventually run out of steam (most only have sufficient nutrients for 6 weeks maximum)
      Can't think of anything else at the mo, but if I do I'l get back to you.
      Rat

British by birth
      Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
      http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

I think ping pong ball size is just perfect. But I'm into baby veg. I think it might just be that they are in a container and therefore have limited space. (Which they sense in some kind of way - very complex subject. ) The same kind of effect can be seen in animals on islands. A minaturisation takes place - shetland ponies etc. Just a thought, but there is something at work there.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Blimey! I would never have associated beetroot with Shetland ponies...

interesting...

Comment

Hi Cutecumber
            I would definately agree with the nutrients thing. I only got baby too. They need nutrients and water and so however many plants you got in one container are going to be sharing those. Need to add a feed etc, i would space quite far for bigger plants, but yes beetroot in my opinion if you like them big are not worth growing in a container. Let us know tho if you find a happy medium!

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts.

I agree that small is best, but I'd like to get some bigger to store, if i can.

I do feed all my container-grown veg, and I top them up with fresh compost with a bit of general feed mixed on occasion. I am now experimenting with half the number (compared to what I would normally do) of beetroot in a pot to see what happens.

Comment

It would be interesting to see as I've just planted some in a trough, the first time I've grown beetroot.
                See our brand new allotment - a work in progress - at http://catherineandclaresallotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

My Pronto should be ready now, but although I planted more thinly than the Boltardy which I picked a couple of weeks ago, the roots are even smaller! Typical!

Next to mature will be some Detroit 2 Tardel - dreadful germination but starting to get a move on now.

I'll sow some more boltardy this weekend, and then some Alto (a long root variety) in some larger pots when they become available mid-July.

Boltardy seems to produce the largest roots for me so far.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X