Shallots ??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shallots ??

OK, I am too lazy to go search for it, but when can/do you plant shallots ?

Sort of could I do it now for a row of them ?

The "Growing Guides" on here are really quite informative - you can find the tab just under the main title banner.

However, I've provided the link below because you admitted you were lazy.

Growing Shallots | How To Grow | Grow Your Own
    Last edited by KevinM67; 30-10-2014, 12:50 PM.
    .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Careful, Kevin or Kirk will be asking you to plant them for him next

Comment

Kirk you can try zabrune shallots from seed in March have a look at them been grown on allotment diary on you tube

Comment

You're SUPPOSED to plant them in February.............but mine are going in next week as an experiment!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
            You're SUPPOSED to plant them in February.............but mine are going in next week as an experiment!
            I put some in a couple of months ago as an experiment & they are going crazy.............that may all change though.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

When I was a child our next door neighbour always planted his shallots on boxing day.

Comment

I plant in modules early Feb in the greenhouse and outdoors on the plot in March

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

So it seems from August/September to March is when people have done or tried them.
                  That is a pretty wide planting time.

Careful, Kevin or Kirk will be asking you to plant them for him next
                  VC, planting them was I thought implicit when asking when they should be planted.
                  Can I assume that being a moderator of the site and therefore to uphold the site standards and expectations that you are going to travel over and obligue?
                  At least you do not have to pay to get out of Wales.

Any chance of you tiding the rest of the house while you are over this way?

Comment

Originally posted by Kirk View Post
                    So it seems from August/September to March is when people have done or tried them.
                    That is a pretty wide planting time.
                    Yes but you can get some types that are autumn planting and some that are spring so that's not unreasonable. Plus some people are planting spring types now as an experiment.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I was always told to plant them on the shortest day and harvest them on the longest. Mine are in now!!!!
                      Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Originally posted by Kirk View Post
                        VC, planting them was I thought implicit when asking when they should be planted.
                        Can I assume that being a moderator of the site and therefore to uphold the site standards and expectations that you are going to travel over and obligue?
                        At least you do not have to pay to get out of Wales.

Any chance of you tiding the rest of the house while you are over this way?
                        Sorry Kirk, I don't actually DO anything, I delegate
                        Ask Kevin, he's a very helpful young man

I've had shallots and onions in the ground for weeks and I've just planted some more in seed trays - some saved from this year's crop and some Red Sun that were being sold off cheap as old stock Set out some Spring planting onion sets today too. If they don't make it through the winter there's plenty of time to plant again in spring

Comment

My experience has been the autumn planted ones didn't thrive where I am (unlike the autumn planted onion sets). Spring planted ones put in in February (once the ground is soft enough to jab a hole) go wild and I get kilos of them So I'm sticking to that...

I tried, I tested, it's tried and tested and I'm getting old so set in me ways..... Oh and grumpy according to my kids.... and wife

I've a bit of ironing needs doing as well if there's people doing the rounds......

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X