Moving cherry and mulberry- advice?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving cherry and mulberry- advice?

I planted a black mulberry at my allotment about 3 years ago. It didn't do that well for the first year or so (there was a little die back, and it lost leaves early), and hasn't fruited. It's looked healthier this year, but I think it's not in the best spot- I put it right by the edge, and I think it's getting competition from the terrifying brambles that are just over the edge of the plot.

I've now got a lot more space, having expanded my half plot to a full one, and I'm wondering if I should move it- I can't get at the brambles, as it's a very steep slope, and it's got a neighbour's shed squished up against them at the bottom, so digging them out annoyingly isn't an option.

I also have a Morello cherry I bought last spring, which likewise is in a bad spot- too close to a hazel bush. I'm doing a bit of a major reordering of the plot, and it seems like a good plan to sort 'em both out while I'm planning.

Is this a good time to move them? They're leafless, or as good as now. Is there anything I should watch out for? Is it going to really shock them?

Any other advice or stuff I should know would be much appreciated! I will plan my spot a bit more carefully this time- which should be a bit easier, as I'm not trying to squeeze them into an already full plot.

Thanks for any help!
    My spiffy new lottie blog

Move them now or over the next month is probably going to be the best time. Keep as much rootball as possible and good luck

Comment

Originally posted by hamamelis View Post
      I planted a black mulberry at my allotment about 3 years ago. It didn't do that well for the first year or so (there was a little die back, and it lost leaves early)
      Dieback in young plants is often associated with lack of water - I think it is worth watering them "extra" in the early years

and hasn't fruited
      If it is a "King James" or "Chelsea" (i.e. reputed to be from a tree that King James I owned) then I would expect it to take 5 or 6 years to fruit

Sorry, don't know about moving them, but my guess is that Dormant and early Autumn (when the soil is still warm) is the best time, and to take as much soil / rootball with them. If you find that the roots are pretty much still constrained to the original shape of the container (if it wasn't a bare root plant) that would worry me as it would suggest that it was pot-bound when planted, and may never develop well. Anyways, moving it is an opportunity to see how good the oot growth is
      K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X