Christmas Potatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Potatoes

Hi everyone, please would someone be able to help me, I planted some Charlottes ready for Christmas dinner, they have been planted in a potato bag and the stalks have now fallen over and the leaves are turning yellow, should I move the bag into the greenhouse in case of frost and can I leave the potatoes in the bag until I need them, will they be ok? Thank you. Sam

When did you plant them, Sam?

Comment

Erm, end of August I think.

Comment

I've never tried growing Christmas potatoes, but I am aware that Charlottes take 10-13 weeks before they are ready for taking...but that's in the summer!

I would suggest putting them in the greenhouse though.
        Have you had a furtle to see what size they are?

Yours are, at a push only 8 weeks planted...it'll be interesting to see what size they are now.
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Frost will kill the tops, and the tubers are more vulnerable to freezing in bags than they would be underground, so they will certainly need protection. The green house is probably fine if it doesn't get too cold in there.

Yellowing leaves is often a sign that they have finished growing and it's nearly time to harvest the spuds, but as Nicos said, they haven't really been planted long enough. Could you be mixing up your dates?

Anyway, the spuds will probably continue developing even without green leaves on top. So you can leave them until Chrissie, but get in an alternative supply ready for the big meal just in case they turn out to be marble sized.
          Last edited by Zelenina; 25-10-2014, 06:35 PM. Reason: Minor alteration

Comment

Thanks everyone, I might indeed have got the dates wrong, I forgot to write down when I planted them! I will move them into the greenhouse today, should I water them if the soil feels dry? I haven't had a furtle yet, might leave it a while and yes, will definitely get an alternative supply! On the other hand, my Brussels are coming along nicely ��

Comment

In the past I have left mine in the bags in a frost free greenhouse (frost free shed / garage would do once the leaves have died down) until XMas (long after the tops died down) and then harvested them as nice clean-skinned new potatoes

However, they are very early shutting down ... 8 weeks is unlikely to be enough, even if you planted them at the start of August that's still quite short, so you may have few & small spuds I'm afraid.

Assuming that the compost is most when the tops die down I wouldn't water them again, there will be enough moisture and too much might encourage rot / slugs / etc as without leaves the plant won't be drinking hardly anything at all.
              Last edited by Kristen; 26-10-2014, 08:14 AM.
              K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

I too have some Charlottes in 45 litre buckets, the foilage is starting to yellow right now, mine have been in the GH from day 1. I will harvest mine a week before Christmas thus giving us time to buy some if there arent enough.
                If there are none, all i can do is say "Thats Charlotte"
                photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

I planted some Duke of York in the greenhouse mid August. Cut the last of the haulms off yesterday and harvested a couple of hauls of decent sized spuds so far. Intending to leave the rest in situ for christmas
                  What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
                  Pumpkin pi.

Comment

Thanks everyone, maybe they have been in longer, it seems longer than 8 weeks, will stick my hand in and see what I find! Will let you know!

Comment

For the last few years I have grown potatoes in bags and brought them indoors when the tops died down (in my case into the garage). I don't water them once they come indoors and I find they keep very well if just left where they are. I harvested the last of my Desiree, in perfect condition, at the end of January from last year's crop.
                      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X