Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belgian Fence with flowering Cherry

Hi All,

After a bit of fruit tree training expertise. I'm wanting to plant a Belgian fence in the spring and ideally I'd like it out of a very decorative (but has to be a fruit) tree.

I've got the RHS book on pruning and read a lot online, but all the advice I can find is relates to fruiting cherries, not flowering ones. Do you think it would be possible to create a belgian fence with flowering cherries?

Note: I know flowering cherries don't produce fruit, but I prefer them in this location to fruiting cherries as it will be around my front garden and I don't want to have to net the trees to protect the car from bird "processed" stones.

I had hoped to use something maybe like Prunus 'Kursar' AGM.

There will be two fences created, both about 6metres long and about 6 feet high. I've yet to decide on what sort of spacing would be best.

A fall back would be to use pear trees.

Sorry, can't help...never heard of one before so I looked it up!

How to Use a Belgian Fence Espalier in Your Landscape Design

Gosh, they're really pretty!
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I think Belgian Fence looks lovely ... never been brave enough to attempt it!

My immediate thought is that it won't be anything like "big" enough to give you much in the way of blossom (compared to even a small-ish Cherrry blossom tree); I'd be interested in other folk's opinions.
      K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

In principle this should work, but I think there are a couple of issues. Firstly, this sort of thing is easier with apples and pears (less vigorous, and easier to prune to maintain the form). Secondly, flowering cherries are usually only available on semi-vigorous rootstocks, which might be too big for the effect you want.

Comment

They do look great, but what is the best way to go about making one, particularly using apples. They look like the first tier of an espalier or step-over before they are eventually lowered to horizontal. Is there an optimum angle? (45 degrees like cordons) What would be a suitable rootstock? (presumably it would depend on final height of fence - if so m27, m9, m26 for short, medium and tall.)

Anyone ever attempted one? I'd be interested in hearing about their attempts, and hopefully success. When I originally saw one, with the lower section covered by a short hedge, I thought they were cordons going in opposite directions!)

Comment

I'm hoping that the variety Prunus 'Kursar' AGM will aid in some respect, as although it's final height is much more than 2 metres (I've changed my mind from 6ft), it's still not huge.

I was wondering if the pruning required would perhaps ruin the quantity of blossom significantly?

If it's just a size control issue I think I'll give it a go.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X