Lawn Aeration - Yes or No

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawn Aeration - Yes or No

I've been doing some research about lawn aeration lately and wondered what you guys think about it. Is it worth the effort? And when should it be done? I read different opinions on the topic, but I intend to research a little further, as this is quite a disputed topic. So, tell me what you think about it, please.

Maybe.

It depends what lawn you want and what your ground conditions are like.

I never aerated my previous lawn. It never got waterlogged and I was quite happy with the mixture of grass, wildflowers and moss that stayed mostly green all year round.

However if I wanted a green to practice my putting on then I would have no choice but to spike and top-dress every year.
    My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
    Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

I agree with Martin. I would say it depends what you have and what you want. In my old garden I never done a thing to the lawn except cut it. Unfortunately my new garden is mainly moss and very springy and spongy - what you might think it is like in teletubbie land. Not my kind of lawn so I am doing all the lawn care possible for a few years. I normally treat it/ care regime around march/ april-ish

Comment

I am still forking and top dressing my lawn as I raised it up a couple of feet at one corner and filled, then turfed it to take away a bad slope so my grandson could play safely. That was 2 years ago, but there are still a few hollows. I think spring will see it about ok... I hope.
        Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

I would only aerate a lawn if there was a drainage problem. Otherwise a regular haircut & feed should suffice.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by JohnAtk View Post
            I've been doing some research about lawn aeration lately and wondered what you guys think about it. Is it worth the effort? And when should it be done? I read different opinions on the topic, but I intend to research a little further, as this is quite a disputed topic. So, tell me what you think about it, please.
            Is this research for a thesis or a business, John? You may need to ask Admin for their agreement to carry out research on here.

Comment

We seem to have a very high water table here. One night's rain, and we're waterlogged. My stepping stones have sunk, and become puddles. I actually took to the boggiest area with a fork at the weekend, but I haven't top-dressed it.

In my previous job, we aerated and top-dressed a boggy lawn, with very good results, so could be worth a try, but if there are major deciding factors - like an underground spring, for example, it may not help.
              All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
              Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

It depends on what the lawn is used for, is it for looks or hard wear,what type of grass it is comprised of,(ryegrass for wear tolerance, fescue/bents for fineness of leaf) whether there is a piped drainage system,what the soils type is (sand,silt,clay), what the rainfall is in the area, is it top dressed regularly.
                Spikers, slitters,hollow corers,scarifiers and brushes can all be used depending on what you want to achieve. All are a way of aerating the soil and allowing the roots to travel downward along with water from the surface allowing for a more healthy and hard wearing and luxuriant sward.
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Whats a lawn?

Comment

In my part of the world its called "the grass".

Comment

Its something you dig up to plant veggies
                      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                        In my part of the world its called "the grass".
                        I see, sheep grazing

Comment

I'm on heavy clay, so the moss goes wild in a wet year.
                          The RHS advises using a hollow tine aerator (removing plugs / cores of soil), every three to four years, to relieve compaction and aid drainage. I've done that once in the last 10 years. Probably ought to do it again soon.
                          I've never top dressed. I just feed, mow, apply moss killer and scarify once a year (though this year I managed twice).
                          The easiest thing to do to limit the need for aerating is just avoid walking on the lawn when it's very wet.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenleaves View Post
                            Whats a lawn?
                            A green desert.
                            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                              Is this research for a thesis or a business, John? You may need to ask Admin for their agreement to carry out research on here.
                              By research I meant that I've been reading some materials for personal needs. I'm not going to start a business, nor am I doing a thesis. Just curious to know your opinions about this lawn care chore.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X