Brussels sprouts for 7 months!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brussels sprouts for 7 months!

Whether you love 'em (Deano & BM) or loathe 'em, according to the RHS and the GYO's Gardening Guide, you could be eating them for 6-7 months of the year (August - February),
    Why not 12 months - there's a challenge

Does anyone crop them for half the year, and if so, which varieties do you grow? Any tips?

Growing Brussels Sprouts | How To Grow | Grow Your Own
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/grow-y...ussels-sprouts

Just wondering whether to try growing them as cut -and-come again veggies, instead of growing cabbages.

I love sprouts but don't want them in summer when there is loads of other yummy stuff about. To be honest, whilst I like to extend the season a bit I prefer to look forward to the differences brought as time moves on and don't really want things at other times if you see what I mean.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I picked my first sprouts in early September - variety is Churchill. I can't say they tasted very 'sprouty' - in fact they were quite disappointing- so I'm leaving them till after the frosts.

Am also growing Evesham Special and Seven Hills, which should give us crops till about January. So hopefully that's sprouts for around 5 months of the year, which is probably long enough for us.

Comment

I think I could crop for 7 months of the year if the ****** bunnies would leave them alone. At this rate I'm not going to have any for Christmas dinner

Comment

Unfortunately I am rubbish at getting decent results with brassicas. Kale is about it for me so I would be happy to get a stalk let alone 7 months worth.

Comment

Why stop at Sprouts? I would imagine any frost hardy crop could be grown over 12 months.........Leeks, Parsnips, Swedes, Beetroots............wot u reckon?
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Let's talk about Brussels Sprouts!!

Another vegetable I have difficulty growing

Sprouts tick a lot of boxes for me - you can pick just a few at a time without destroying the plant; they have a long cropping season, lots of ways to cook them - and I like them However, I've never grown a stick of sprouts that looks anything like the ones they sell in December - so this is my next Challenge (to me and anyone else who is up for it ).

The recommended sowing time is March-April, so can I pick your brains about varieties and growing tips please?

Comment

This is my first year of growing them. The variety is Evesham.

All I know is I'm going to add some BFB To the area where they will be planted after sowing them in modules. I won't be digging the soil over either, more like stamping it down once they're in.

Comment

Let's talk about Brussels Sprouts...

Attached Files

Comment

If you grow them as seedlings in pots let them get fairly tall before planting out, when planting out set the in to the first pair of true leaves, fill the excess depth of hole with soil (as dug) & heel in as tight as humanly possible, then set a stake in approx 100mm away, this is to be used later in the season to prevent 'wind rock'
                    He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

I'm with you VC. Never managed to grow really good sprouts. like you I think they are a great versatile crop. But they are on there last chance this year. Previously I've grown Evesham special and roodnerf. But this year I'm going with 3 new varieties (to me).
                      rubine red
                      Montgomery.
                      best f1.

Comment

I don't think the red ones did as well as the green ones.
                        I bought mixed seeds - and that's worked well. Random until they grow big enough to pick I spose though.
                        Will be growing some more if I have seeds left.

Comment

I grow Revenge, just like the taste compared to some of the other F1 varieties. I have a plank on one of the beds which I walk on as a path, this is lifted and becomes the bed for my Sprouts. I don't puddle in and make the planting hole with a piece of broom handle and plant to the first true leaves. I fill the sides with fine soil and water about six inches from the planting hole. After a month I heel in.

Comment

Well the year before last mine were amazing ( if I do say so myself ) but last year not one! Out of plants they were the size of 5p. Dunno if I fertilezed enough?
                            If you want to view paradise
                            Simply look around and view it.

Comment

I'm sowing mine this weekend.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X