French grey shallots

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French grey shallots

Has anyone here tried growing French grey shallots, aka échalote grise or Griselle? Hi French grapes! I expect you have. Are they as easy to grow as ordinary shallots? Are there any special tips for growing them? Should I plant them now or wait a bit longer? Do they really taste special? When will they be ready to harvest, and how long do they keep?

I'm asking because I managed to get some at last, without going to France, or paying huge postal fees to get them sent from abroad. I discovered a Slovak company I could order them from online, and I ordered three packages, plus some onion sets and a few packets of seeds to make up the minimum order of €20. And I managed to successfully negotiate their rather unusual ordering process, and they were duly delivered by courier

They're packaged by a German company, and on the packet in German it calls them yellow winter shallots. But the variety name is Griselle, and they look like the real thing. Not really grey but paler coloured and thicker skinned than ordinary shallots.
    Last edited by Zelenina; 08-10-2014, 09:46 PM. Reason: Extra questions.

I've never grown them, but reading up on them I will be next year!
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

They sound good don't they! Why wait until next year?

Comment

They do!

We usually start shallots off in Feb in seed trays to get a good root system on them and then plant them out later.
        It's only our 7th year here and were still sussing out the weather....I suppose I worry they will rot if I plant them soon.
        We seem to get -18C at times in winter or prolonged wet periods.
        As we've had good results using our seed trays I was happy with that!
        But hey...why not!....I'll look out for them and give it a bash!

Comment

These are supposed to be autumn planted. They are a different species from the usual ones. And I think they are very hardy. So go on. Give it a go! We can compare notes.

Comment

And as soon as you've sussed out the weather it'll change. That's the way things are nowadays. So might as well try things out and experiment and hope something works.

Comment

Here's a small thread on them...........

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ots_39921.html
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------
              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
              -----------------------------------------------------------
              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I've got Jermor and am putting them in this weekend if there's time. Not grown shallots before so am looking forward to this.
                http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

I have grown them but didn't find the produced a very good crop and a pain to peel because of the fery hard skins. Inow grow Mikador for autumn planting.
                  Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

That's great, sparrow! hope you do get time to plant them. I need to plant mine soon too. Jermor is a French red shallot, and I presume Mikador is a similar kind. Easier to peel than the grey ones, as roitelet says, and they store longer too.

I grew some French red ones last season, and I'm going to plant some of them again. But I don't know the variety because they were sold for eating, not growing. They grew and multiplied fine without much attention. At least as good as the Red Sun that were meant for planting, but I haven't tasted them yet. How do the Mikadors and Griselles compare for flavour, roitelet?

Comment

I planted my Griselles and some French red shallots today Did you do yours sparrow? And Nicos, did you find any?

Comment

Not had chance to look Zelenina...I don't get out much!!!

...but they are on my list , as are Mikador.

Comment

Sorry it is along time since I grew Griselles and I can't remember the flavour
                          Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X