Kale gone to seed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kale gone to seed

Are the leaves still edible or do they go bitter?

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

I would think it should be fine but try it and see. I got some kale plants from a pal early in the season which he had bought from a garden centre. I only took them because the seed I sowed looked as though it wasn't going to germinate. The bought in plants all bolted but my own seed did germinate eventually and I have super kale plants in the plot. A pot of soup isn't the same without it.

Comment

In my experience, they go quite bitter. Maybe ok in something like a curry but as a standalone veg, I'd avoid at this stage.

Comment

The flower shoots taste really nice. I enjoy eating them at the end of their season when they always bolt, pretty early for it though this year - am guessing the warm, dry September is at fault.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
          The flower shoots taste really nice. I enjoy eating them at the end of their season when they always bolt, pretty early for it though this year - am guessing the warm, dry September is at fault.
          Pinch out and Eat the seed heads like PSB and leave the plants to produce new shoots. The leaves from the centre are the sweetest.... even better when frosted.
          Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

Beaten to it Infact, I've picked 1 head just to do that with (stress due to lack of time and being potbound in my case, no doubt).

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X