Which tree is the tree of love?!?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which tree is the tree of love?!?

Hi all. I'm buying a tree for a friend as a wedding gift (thought it would be different) but I'm not sure which tree means love, marriage ect, does anyone have any ideas?
    I have choice of the below trees

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum
    Attached Files

How much space do they have that's the first thing to think of, but I do like the sounds of a crab apple.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I personally would go with Holly, purely because it is evergreen. If you something that signifies love then what better. In addition once the tree has matured they can use sprigs at Christmas time to bring the memories in doors.

Comment

Hmmm. For some reason I am drawn to the oak tree. They are a traditional tree to me. Think of ancient woodlands and you think of oak trees.
        Also to me they symbolise wisdom and strength and from such a small acorn you can get a massive tree.
        I think marriage must be strong like an oak tree and sway in the wind and troubled times but always remain strong. Also it gives and takes in nature gives food and shelter to wildlife but also marriage is about giving and taking.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Greenleaves View Post
          I personally would go with Holly, purely because it is evergreen. If you something that signifies love then what better. In addition once the tree has matured they can use sprigs at Christmas time to bring the memories in doors.
          Like the idea of something which has a purpose but something prickly doesn't seem right. Bought somebody an olive tree in a pot once but suspect it's never fruited

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Can I be awkward and say I wouldn't choose any of those! I'd give them a fruit tree - maybe an apple. It worked for Adam.
            As Bren says, a lot depends on the size of their garden. I have many of the trees on the list in my garden and some are non-starters in my view.
            Hawthorn and Blackthorn are too spiny, holly too prickly, elder is smelly.
            From a decorative point of view - I'd choose copper beech, crab apple, rowan, silver birch or wild cherry.
            Not much help, am I

Comment

I'd go for a cherry. Beautiful blossom, attractive bark, pleasing symmetry and of a suitable size for almost any garden.
              Cherry blossom at your feet and in your hair, what could be more romantic?
              Pain is still pain, suffering is still suffering, regardless of whoever, or whatever, is the victim.
              Everything is worthy of kindness.

http://thegentlebrethren.wordpress.com

Comment

I just had a quick google (not that it is reliable) but don't pick willow apparently it means sadness - but I actually like willow but nevermind.

There is a wicca sight that says apples are good for love and healing spells and as VC said it was good enough for adam. Plus you can get one to suit any garden, blossom in spring fruit in summer what more could you want.

Comment

I don't know if this website is a load ot twaddle or good, but it's interesting!
                  Tree Symbolism and Meanings | Symbols & Interpretations
                  Last edited by Patchninja; 02-10-2014, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Patchninja View Post
                    I don't know if this website is a load ot twaddle or good, but it's interesting!
                    Tree Symbolism and Meanings | Symbols & Interpretations
                    Lovely. I enjoyed that. Thanks for posting.
                    Pain is still pain, suffering is still suffering, regardless of whoever, or whatever, is the victim.
                    Everything is worthy of kindness.

http://thegentlebrethren.wordpress.com

Comment

No mention of a Rowan...good luck tree?
                      sigpic

Comment

I must admit I love all trees but as a wedding present I'd go with apple.

Oh, having just read that tree meaning site cherry looks pretty good too.
                        I didn't know you could get a wisteria tree, I've only ever seen it as a climber.
                        Last edited by Verinda; 02-10-2014, 11:38 AM.
                        The best things in life are not things.

Comment

go for something different

why not consider a tree that has very good fragrant flowers? .... perhaps a Cleodendrum Trichotomum Fargesii

you can smell those a block away and it blooms in early autumn, and it has a very pleasant smell

Comment

That's beautiful, dim!
                            sigpic

Comment

I'd vote for cherry!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X