What do grow behind a 2 foot fence

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do grow behind a 2 foot fence

Was'nt sure where to start this thread, but this part is gonna be my fruit garden.

Basically I had to level the garden as best I could by building walls and as I don't like the look of concrete I decided to build a fence against the wall to hide it(also any place I plant has to stop the dog getting into).

The problem is the fence is 26 inches above the wall(south facing) and would think anything I plant behind it would be shaded?

Out of the fruit plants I have so far, I was wondering what would be more suited to be planted behind the fence.

Tayberry
    Gogs
    Honeyberries
    Blueberries
    Redcurrant
    Blackcurrant
    Attached Files
    http://jonnash-cms.co.uk

Blackberries and redcurrants are very shade-tolerant for fruits. Blackcurrants supposedly need more sun than red ones to fruit well.
    Honeyberry has been very happy in partial-shade for me but not sure how well it will do completely shaded.

The thing is, 2ft isn't very tall and most of these plants would easily grow that size bigger with time, so shade shouldn't be an issue from a fruiting point of view as long as the plant will grow a bit initially in those conditions.

Comment

In front of this fence is my seating area, so what I think I am looking for is one of my plants(or another plant that someone could suggest) that would be more ornamental for most of the year(or all year). I'm wondering if I would like to see Tayberry vines hanging or branches of a bush overhanging over the fence? Bearing in mind it not over shadowing other plants behind that and that I can re-paint the fence.

Comment

Try growing some Grey Oyster mushrooms on cardboard.
        Very expensive, quality food for restaurants, but free for those in the know.
        Delicious and quick to grow.
        The leftover cardboard is also converted back to high quality fertiliser, which can be spread on rest of allotment.
        I will be starting a new thread on this topic in a few weeks, when my allotment paperwork, and keys come through.
        Cheers,
        Phil

Comment

I don't think any of the plants you've listed are particularly ornamental.

Most rubus (blackberry, tayberry) remind people of weeds since the cultivated ones look more or less the same as wild brambles. The variety Oregon Thornless has quite ferny attractive leaves though.

Of the edible ribes, I think redcurrants are very attractive when fruiting but a bit boring the rest of the year.

Honeyberries are fairly plain and not really that interesting to look at.

I think the easiest thing to get to overhang the fence would be a viney plant like the Oregon Thornless.

Comment

What about a grapevine? Over the top and back down the front of the fence.
            If its your seating area you don't want anything with thorns.

Comment

Oregon Thornless doesn't have thorns, so it's OK from that point of view.

Kiwis are also very attractive vines but grow like crazy.

Comment

Rhubarb is a nice structural type plant and thrives in shade. Mine is planted against the north facing wall of a garage.
                A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I have a 6 inch wide border net to my greenhouse and the path which is north facing. Too narrow for rhubarb?

Comment

I think you can espalier red currants. Thst might work for your narrow gap.

Comment

Wild flowers?
                      Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have a grapevine growing elsewhere and agree that none of my fruit plants are that ornamental. I do still have them in pots so have been putting them behind the fence to see which looks best.

I thought of the honeyberry bushes being planted there as I wanted to plant the two together but there not enough room for both of them.

Never less, I have come across 7" shorter fence panels and have scaffolding boards which I can raise the soil by another 8" behind the fence.

I worry what to plant there another time.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X