Motorhomes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorhomes

I have 2 small dogs and am (technically) retired. I recently had to put them into kennels in order to go to a funeral. I didn't like putting them there, I had to have them innoculated against kennel cough and it cost me more to board them as to me in a b&b (with no &B). When I picked them up they both had kennel cough and fleas.

I am now retired and would like to travel, around the UK and also Europe and other parts of the world. I didn't get dogs to leave them behind. So I want to buy a motorhome. I do know that some parts of the world are nono with the dogs but hey ho. My brother thinks I'm completely off my trolley wanting a motorhome because he says I will be severely restrictly as to where i can go as compared to a caravan.

Does anyone on this site have any insight into this? I have to say his missus had a very different view on it (out of his hearing, he can be a pompous tw$t)
    Last edited by JanieB; 30-09-2014, 08:20 PM.
    "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
    "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
    Oxfordshire

Depends on what you want. Caravans have the advantage that when you get there you have a car to go out in but it does mean you need a higher powered car to tow effectively. Motorhomes are more compact and easier to drive (ie not towing) and obviously you can use the motor to park in the right place so less manual handling (although I believe you can get motorised parking helper things nowadays, not like when I was a kid). You probably need to look at a load (they go up to eye watering prices), maybe try driving too to see what you like then go with what is right for you and your wife (plus the dogs) and ignore people with opinions that don't count.

Just realised who posted originally and that it was your brothers wife who commented - doh!. Original point still remains though that it's the people the want to use it who should decide not a random friend or relative
    Last edited by Alison; 01-10-2014, 06:31 AM.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Have a read of this for good general advice & some specific's eg. The United Kingdom (UK) ‘Highway Code’ states: ‘When in a vehicle make sure dogs or other animals are suitably restrained so they
      cannot distract you while you are driving or injure you if you stop quickly’. In some European countries, the law does not allow dogs to travel loose in vehicles.
      Your pet should preferably travel in a container which meets particular standards (see page 18). A cat or very small dog should always travel in a container ... https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...are-060215.pdf
      He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

I own a very small motorhome, JanieB. It is my car, and gets me from A to B (and sometimes C) very niftily, while also providing Mr Noosner and I (and sometimes our large dog) with a holiday home. It is a Citroen Romahome and cost £14,000 second hand.

We travel in Europe each year, completely freewheeling, and and both absolutely love the spontaneity of it. We haven't taken the dog to Europe, but I have friends who regularly take their dogs with them and it's very doable - you just have to be organized as regards the injections, as you have to have them immunized on the way back in to the UK as well as on the way out.
        Attached Files
        My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

Nice to 'see' you Janie.

I have no experience of motorhomes, but I must say that the kennels that you put your dogs in leave something to be desired if they came back with kennel cough and fleas and cost you ££££££. Better research/recommendations next time, perhaps!

Even if you do find a motorhome to travel with your dogs from A to B, do remember that once you are at B, you will either have to be with the dogs or leave them whilst you are out in what is pretty much a car, so not much freedom for you to go to the shops/have a coffee/visit a stately home etc etc.

If you are taken with the idea of going away with the dogs (as opposed to leaving them in a rather better kennels than you've been to so far), why don't you have a look at dog-friendly B&B's? Saves the cost of the kennels and buying a motorhome. Dogs' Trust have a list on their website, I believe.

Comment

Monsieur P and I have been looking into something - LOVE the idea of your Romahome, Noosner! Afriend is going to rent one before deciding if she wants to buy or not which I think is a good idea.
            There's a deicated website here - if you google France Passion you'll find it and get google to translate it - I'm told by camper van lovers that it's THE site for France. I teach many peeps here that adore their vans and use them most of the year - for going to stay with friends but being more independt to holidays further away, just wanting to spend a week and at the beach etc.
            I have other friends who rented one for a summer holiday because they too had dogs.
            Ask Scarey - she campervans with dogs!

Comment

Yup. Do it!

Ok, if you're happy towing (you'll be fine, it's eeeeeasy, I've been doing it since I was 22) a small 'pre-loved' caravan is definitely your cheapest option, by far. Even the smallest Motorhomes, in quite poor, neglected condition, cost a lot. But if you're against towing, a motorhome will do you perfectly.

Home conversions are a nightmare because of all the electric and gas regulations, and people rarely get them right, and then they sell them on when they hit a problem. So try to steer clear of anything that wasn't 'purpose-built.'

If you can hire one for a long weekend, just go for it. One word of warning - it is VERY addictive.
              Last edited by Glutton4...; 01-10-2014, 07:25 AM.
              All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
              Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by Patchninja View Post
                Ask Scarey - she campervans with dogs!
                Patch is right. We have a Roller Team camper and it is fab! We have two dogs and I can't bear to leave them other than at home with my friend.

We have been to UK a couple of times with her (and the dogs) and it is really easy. Our dogs have to be vaccinated against rabies every year and then all they need is to be wormed just before we go and the vet puts a stamp in the passport to this effect. I'm not sure about how it works in UK but I don't think it is very different.

Hazel has a good point, we often find that it is a bit of a tie having the dogs with us - they can't go on the beaches in high season and we don't like leaving them in the van alone for too long unless they start barking - having said that, they are usually very good and they treat the camper as home when we go away.

Depending on what you want to do, you can tend to be stuck in one place with a camper, having said that, we have packed everything away and gone off for the day.
                We often discuss the pros and cons of a caravan and car versus the camper and we never seem to come down on one side or another but this really works for us.

One last thing, here in France there are dedicated overnight stopping places for camping cars in most big (and some smaller) towns. They are often free and many have electric points, toilet emptying and water. Here are a couple of links: Airetoday.co.uk: Aires Camping-Car for Motorhomes, Camper Vans, RVs in France
                AireCampingCar.com: All the Motorhome stopovers, throughout France
                Let me know if you have any specific questions, I'm glad to help.
                A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Do you mean Motor Home or Campervan?
                  Size being the real difference, I suppose.

On the "campervan" side there are options like the VW campers based on their Transporter, usually T4 or T5.
                  Saw a nice one some years back that gave me ideas.

They do seem popular, see a number on the roads, but I equally suspect that means they cost a bit higher, but usually a reliable vehicle. Worth search through the car private sales perhaps.

There is also presently a similar camper based on the Mazda Bongo - look up "Bongo Fury" for their web site. Will say they started out reasonably priced and have sort of risen. They have colleted a following as the original VW Camper have.
                  Bongo Fury!

One reasonable conversion I have seen was based on a Toyota Granvia, there is also one close to me that is a Nissan Elgrande. So there are other options around.

Most of the Japanese ones apper to be based on imports from Japan, which may be a point to remember.

First is to work out what you want, a camper is fine for about a week. The advantage is everything is just one vehicle, but that means that to get from camp site to a town you have to generally take the camper. Which is where size comes into it.

If you search the Bongo Fury site out there is a selection of places that sell campers in general.

The VW and Bongo conversions are I guess about the right size, if one person and 2 dogs.

Suppose that the idea of a jigsaw and wood to do your own conversion is out of the question?

Comment

Originally posted by Kirk View Post

Suppose that the idea of a jigsaw and wood to do your own conversion is out of the question?
                    I'm a pretty good carpenter (I'm into dollshousing) But I think van conversion is a bit beyond me :-)
                    "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
                    "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
                    Oxfordshire

Comment

If you are wanting to make a DIY project out of it, 2nd hand Ambulances appear to be popular. Just a thought.
                      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                      -----------------------------------------------------------
                      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Go for it, just do careful research first. A FB friend of mine is currently in Latvia with motorhome, wife and CAT!
                        The cats' valet.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirk View Post
                          I think the difference is if they have built in toilet facilities ie a campervan doesn't but a motorhome does.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

go for it ....

no need for a large motorvan .... get a camper with a good sized side tent and buy a gas BBQ .... you only use the camper to sleep in ...

loads of pet freindly sited around ...

http://www.dogfriendlybritain.co.uk/...sp?Category=16

Pet Friendly Caravan Hire - Search Caravan Parks that are Dog Friendly
                            Last edited by dim; 01-10-2014, 06:17 PM.

Comment

I have a friend who always said when he retired he would buy a camper van and travel the coastline of GB, that was 4 years ago, he is now travelling through Europe. He follwed his dream and has never looked back.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X