Plums, and pear tree problem - Leaf drop

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plums, and pear tree problem - Leaf drop

The leaves on my pear tree have all dropped off.
    I went away for a fortnight, and when I got back they were all on the floor.
    Some were very pale in colour, and all the others had turned black.
    Not a leaf left on the tree.
    Seems to have spread to the plum tree, which is in direct contact with the pear tree.
    All other plants/trees unaffected
    Camera out of action at the moment, so no pictures.
    Any ideas come to mind ?

The leaves dropped off my plum several weeks ago and my pear leaves are now dropping it is just that time of year. Is this not the case for yours? Is this really unusual for your trees?

Comment

Pale and black doesn't sound good. Obviously natural leaf fall would be more browny and is a bit early. Are they in the ground or pots?

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

The plants are in 200 litre pots.
        Leaves fell far too quickly for an autumn fall.
        Nobody there to water them, so that may have worsened things a little.

Comment

The leaves on my plum tree started to fall a while back and the pear is now starting to drop it's leaves. Maybe combination of lack of water and time of the year as I missed a few nights watering and they are in pots? Hope so anyway!
          sigpic

Comment

Its not any help to you but my plum has been slowly dropping leaves for a few weeks but the pear hasn't yet.

Comment

I think trees grown in pots might be more susceptible to dropping their leaves quickly, particularly if they dry out.

Comment

Can you see buds on the trees? If they look reasonably ok I would just put it down to them having a wobbly moment

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
                  Can you see buds on the trees? If they look reasonably ok I would just put it down to them having a wobbly moment

They have fresh buds on.
                  A few opened with fresh blossom, but quickly withered away.

Comment

Originally posted by Philplot View Post
                    A few opened with fresh blossom, but quickly withered away.
                    Oo er, ok a big wobbly then.

Comment

Dunno if this is helpful, but nearly all the leaves of my new pear tree, which ended up staying in a pot for longer than I expected before I could plant it out, turned yellow and dropped off within a few days.

I read up about it and apparently it can sometimes happen to trees in pots if the plant gets a shock, e.g. if the weather changes suddenly. Leaf fall, which is on the cards anyway, gets brought forward as the tree uses its resources to survive. It will probably be fine next year.
                      My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

Thanks for all the help everyone.
                        Looks like Noosers explanation matches what happened to my plants.
                        Cheers,
                        Phil

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X