Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Must be Useful and/or Beautiful

My new Mantra :-

"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful".
    William Morris 1834 - 1896

I'm going to try to garden by these principles, so out go the plants that are just fillers but I don't like, the veggies that are easy to grow but are never eaten, the fruit bushes that are spiky and spiteful that I avoid picking, the grapevine that rambles everywhere but has the teeniest grapes with the biggest pips...............
    In come all the veg and fruit that I enjoy eating, the flowers that look good in a vase as well as in the garden, the plants that attract bees and other beneficial wildlife, the scented plants that waft their perfume as you brush past them.............you get the picture

My garden is like my mantlepiece, covered in clutter, things that appear but are rarely cleared away - its time for a de-clutter

Just remember that one persons clutter is someone else's treasure - maybe you could give what you no longer want to others in your area as hate to think of plants going to the great compost heap in the sky!

Comment

Using these criteria I doubt my OH would let ME in the garden.

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum
      don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
      remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Originally posted by snakeshack View Post
        Using these criteria I doubt my OH would let ME in the garden.
        Ha, and neither is my husband!

Comment

Clutter in the garden is beautiful to me...If I don't like the taste, I like the look or the smell of it!

Comment

Big chunks of the garden are overrun by raspberries, that are so old they don't really fruit much now. Then there are the Montbretia (lovely in small doses) and the Pink Campion that seeds everywhere - can't eat or smell either of those
            There are more................
            The thornless blackberry that has never had an edible blackberry in 5 years
            The previously mentioned grapevines with tiny pippy fruit (3)
            etc etc

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
              Then there are the Montbretia (lovely in small doses) and the Pink Campion that seeds everywhere - can't eat or smell either of those
              I'm coming to yours with a spade and a couple of buckets

Comment

I agree totally, I can't live with clutter, I don't like things that have no use. I live in a modern clutter free. (almost) house

I'd like my allotment to be like that also, I grow stuff I like, including flowers, unfortunately the weeds also like my plot, and the pigeons, and the butterflies, and the foxes, and squirrels etc etc
                DottyR

Comment

Bring a large pickup truck

Comment

I have a great solution to my gardening dilemmas. If it withstands the dog's attention, it stays - otherwise it dies! I am particularly proud of the way she has chew-pruned my straggly Michaelmas daisies which are usually un-spectacular - but with all the little buds on them this autumn they are going to be much more compact and showy. My Mexican Orange blossom is a much better shape due to her, and the dogwood is getting some early pruning as it is getting totally out of shape. One or two losses due to an enthusiastic spaniel but all in all a good thing!
                    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

I think men are better at this - less sentimentality. I have lots of stuff that was either given to me from a friend or relative's garden, or that I have raised myself from cuttings, scavenged/begged seeds etc, that I find very hard to then throw/give away.

As an example from the veg garden, I grew far too many runner beans this year, just in case some died. My freezer's full, I've eaten beans every day for over a month, and there's only so many ways to cook runners. So on Sunday I decided I'd pull some up and compost them. How many, I hear you ask? Out of 3 rows,............one. I just couldn't do it.
                      Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                      Endless wonder.

Comment

"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful".

That's Himself under the patio then
                        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

I'm the same MH. Most of the plants in my garden have a story behind them - there are very few plants that I've bought. Then you take cuttings off cuttings and before you know whats happened your garden is full of masses of the same plants. I've heard them described as "Grannies" - the old plants that have been in the garden for years but you can't consign to the compost heap.
                          I'm trying very hard to be ruthless and dig up the surplus plants but, as soon as I see a flower bud and know that the plant will do something soon, I can't do it. Instead, I apologise to the plant and leave it for another day/month/year

Comment

I heard it said that a bad plant takes just as much space, care and attention as a good plant. So only grow good plants.

Obviously I don't follow this rule ... although I do work on principles of "continuous improvement" as I obtain new things with no space to put them in
                            My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                            Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

My new Mantra :-

Well that is me homeless on both accounts.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X