Leeks bolting

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leeks bolting

I've noticed that a couple of these years leeks are bolting (and I fear more will join in). Planted out into final spot 5 or 6 weeks ago, pencil thick...

I can't recall this ever happening before.
    Garden Grower
    Twitter: @JacobMHowe

Sow early? (seems unlikely if planted out end July-ish)

End July-ish is on the late side for planting out, but by the sound of it that's when you normally do?

Dry period when the plants were young? or after planting out?
    K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

My leeks have been a bit hit and miss over the years, but I've done exactly what I did to get a good crop last year. Sow spring (March sometime) in modules, planted on into a container for a while, then planted out where the first earlier were mid/late July when pencil thick.

After which they've sulked for a bit. Now a couple are bolting (though a few others look like they're starting to come on). I can't think that they've particularly stressed.
      Garden Grower

Comment

If its same-as-always then most likely thing is to little water at some point, or some other form of stress. Can be hard to pinpoint.

Presumably same variety as always? and thus no obvious significant "variable" compared to your normal routine in previous years?

Maybe the seed came from a crop that was more prone to bolting ... quality assurance of seed is hard to pin down, supplier will probably have bought it from a source, rather than growing and harvesting their own, and they may have had crop failure so fulfilled the order from somewhere else. If you can't pin any obvious cultural cause on it I would park it and see what happens next year. Perhaps go with two varieties next year and/or from different suppliers, to hedge your bets.
        K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

August was a bit on the cold side, just above -2 in Ireland so that may have caused them much confusion.

I see your location is Fife, was that not on the cold side?
          Last edited by Kirk; 05-09-2014, 09:02 PM.

Comment

I've not noticed the weather doing anything out of the normal for Fife in August (it's always autumn from mid-August here). That said, I've been away for more a two weeks, with the OH in charge.

But hey, the sun's out!
            Garden Grower

Comment

My leeks have been in a month and haven't moved yet! I hope the rain today gives them a boost.
              Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Have a look at this thread, Jacob. Same thing happening to mine in Edinburgh, though i was expecting them all to go like dominoes and they haven't... just one or two each week.

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ing_81456.html
                He-Pep!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X