Asparagus Beetle Is About !

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asparagus Beetle Is About !

OK, we are Gloucestershire in the whole Pest Map of this lovely place, and yesterday evening, and this evening combined, we have caught roughly twelve Asparagus Beetles (on the Asparagus, obviously.....)
    So, if you've not had them yet, be aware that they are definitely 'about' now!

ASPARAGUS BEETLE: Crioceris asparagi. A pest of asparagus, adults and larvae chewing feathery leaves. May to August, hibernating as adults, south from The Tees.

You have been warned...!

They're quite pretty to look at too..........
    Attached Files

Comment

I have about twelve of them in an empty coffee jar Hazel, and they look LOVELY! but I've got the lid on, and I'm not letting them out?!

Comment

Jus' sayin'...........

Remind me of my offhand manner when our pretty non-existant asparagus gets munched next year!

Comment

We have them too, I squished about 20 beetles and lots of grubs that were munching on the foiliage.

Its left to me as Piglette can't bring herself to kill anything. Even snails get liberated to next door (via "air mail" I might add).

Comment

Yes, I found a dozen yesterday. I put them in my lunchbox to Google...oh dear ... it seems I may have left my lunchbox at mother's house
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
              Yes, I found a dozen yesterday. I put them in my lunchbox to Google...oh dear ... it seems I may have left my lunchbox at mother's house
              Yes you did, but your beetles don't look like the pictures on this thread. However your lunch box is still on the worktop (unwashed) and will stay there till you return. S"d the beetles, if the die they die!

Comment

Like your style rustylady..... Be scared Two Sheds? Naahh!
                Are you two having 'a domestic'?
                Quality.....

Comment

We don't have domestics, Wellie. We usually just agree to disagree. Actually our relationship works well, but somehow or other I have acquired a green conure, a blue budgie, and 3 guinea pigs - I love them to bits (except Jasper the conure who is determined to kill me).
                  I am being really hard hearted about the beetles, though cos I am trying to grow asparagus and whatever they are I don't want them on my crops. Shield bugs, ladybirds yes. Unidentified nasties no thank you!!

Comment

Been squishing for a month down here. Look for and destroy the eggs-sort of black hairs on stems as it saved a lot of green grub squashing later on. It seems to be the grubs that do the worst damage and they are not at all attractive. I don't torture them in containers tho folks. No prison sentence for mine -no, its the instant death penalty.

Comment

Anyways, it IS after The Watershed: so I can tell you this.....
                      and this might be pertinent to you Rusty Lady, given that Sheds has left her lunchbox.....
                      the Asparagus Beetles that I caught and put in the lidded coffee jar. Well, everytime I looked at them, they were 'at it'? You know, like Rabbits?
                      ALL of them! I mean to say. Even I had to look away.....
                      So, I'd throw the sandwiches away?!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X