No announcement yet.

New hens: mixing chicks with POL hens?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New hens: mixing chicks with POL hens?

Hello. Our last hen departed this life on Sunday night (peacefully, in her sleep), so on Thursday we're going to restock. We've always had Warrens but I fancy a change this time and would like a Bluebelle or a Speckledy. We'll get four or six, and will get a mix.

The place we buy from has chicks too - they'll be about a fotnight old on Thursday and don't have the heatlamp any more, so we can have them without needing special equipment. One thing I wondered: would it be okay to mix a couple of chicks (Polish Bantams and Millefleure Bantams) with four POL hens, or would the chicks get mashed/bullied/squashed? The chicks are just £5 each, so we could afford a couple. The regular Warrens are £12 each and the others all £20, so we can't go mad. DH had suggested raising hens from small, if not tiny, so this would be ideal. In theory we could separate the chicks for a few weeks, but I'd like to hear what people advise.

Thanks Very excited about the new hens!!
    Last edited by MrsCordial; 29-07-2014, 09:38 AM. Reason: She didn't depart this lift, she departed this life.
    Is there anything that isn't made better by half an hour pottering in the veg patch?

Adding to your flock can be really hard work but it's got to be done some times. I've done it once and it took about 5 months for them to settle down. I had 3 and added a further 2, the original 3 really didn't like having company but have settled down now with only the odd falling out. I would recommend getting birds of the same size as larger birds tend to pick on the smaller ones. But then again all hens are different and you might have really laid back birds but I would go into it expecting a bit of hard graft to get them to get along. Also if you can outnumber the original ones with the newcomers that might be easier, that's what I'm going to do when I come to add again.

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

Thanks ChrisMath88. I didn't explain myself very well - we have to restock completely, so all the hens would be new together. In that situation, would it be okay to mix very young hens with POL? We can get them all at the same time as they're all ready.
      Is there anything that isn't made better by half an hour pottering in the veg patch?

Comment

I think the chicks are still too young to be introduced to full sized hens. I'm sure RH has advised on this in the past?

Bantam wise, despite being a lot smaller, when they're older can obiously take a bit more of a pecking...

Anyway, if there's enough room so the youngsters can get away/hide and you have enough water/feeding stations it'll help. You could always seperate them, but allow them to look at each other until they're pretty much fully grown?

Comment

You did explain properly it was me not reading it right, you did state it was your last hen :-/
          But I agree with what the other Chris says! If you've got room to separate for a bit then maybe that's your answer.
          I have a speckeldy and bluebelle both great birds bluebelle is the friendliest and lays nice big eggs and the speckeldy lays really cool dark brown speckled eggs

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

I'd absolutely love all Bluebelle and Speckledy, but we don't have the funds just now. Still working out what to do. If we like the Polish and Millefleure breeds better we'd be happy with six chicks, but they're not really our thing to have just those.

Comment

What if the chicks turn out to be boys?

You cant really mix the two, small chickens will be picked on and probably killed. Also their feeding requirements are very different, chicks need chick crumbs, they then move on to growers. Laying hens need layers.
              They would need to be in separate runs until they are of similar size and eating the same food. Then you can introduce them.
              Last edited by Scarlet; 29-07-2014, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Thanks Scarlet. I had assumed that by two weeks old the chicks could be sexed reliably but it's a fair point, as we don't want a cockerel.

Thanks for all the input. Clearly we can't mix the two. Restocking is looking far more expensive than when we last did it 2-3 years ago, but we'll just have to swallow hard and fork out.

Comment

You could string a fence within your run to separate them as Chris has suggested. I often do that. There doesn't seem to be a new "introduction" problem either then.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsCordial View Post
                    I had assumed that by two weeks old the chicks could be sexed reliably.
                    Sorry MrsC, I think you can sex the polish chicks by their crest shape, not sure on the millefleurs. Don't let that put you off though, the breeders may well be able to sex them reliably regardless.
                    Last edited by Scarlet; 30-07-2014, 10:42 AM.

Comment

I've never had young hens and my ignorance is quite woeful.

Anyway, we've decided to stick with POL hens. We're getting a mix over the weekend, and are likely to end up with six as I know once we get to the place with the wider range of breeds I'm going to want everything in sight! We're getting a couple of good old reliable Warrens for the egg count, but will add at least one Speckledy and a Golden Speckledy, I hope a Black Rock and maybe a Lavender Splash

Comment

Don't forget we love photos!

Comment

Oh I'm sure there will bar far too many of those!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X