Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it to late to grow kale from seed? Also.......

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it to late to grow kale from seed? Also.......

Is to late to grow kale from seed?

Also what's the best cut and come again? I've got a few in but they are not growing quick enough for my consumption... and I'm fighting what ever else is eating them to!
    If you want to view paradise
    Simply look around and view it.

i've just sown kale - black tuscany, which can grow huge leaves, and a small green curly kale
    i'll be planting the whole lot on the allotment, mainly just to grow something for winter - nobody wants an empty plot
    i won't be picking any of it young - i will let it grow and harvest through winter
    it'll be ok into winter - not too late to sow - might not be as big as if i'd sown it a couple of months ago, but something is better than nothing
    http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

well.. it self seeds in the autum..

Comment

Quite glad to hear that Farmer Gyles as I sowed some kale last week and was wondering if it was too late. The seedlings are fair romping along, mind you.
        My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

But does Kale once cooked go cold quite quickly would I have to mix it with potatoes to make a fresh bubble and squeak,and how does that compare to Daubentons kale when cooked.

Comment

I just keep sticking Kale seeds in, it's pretty tough and like Vince says you can just harvest it smaller. Lots of the packets mention eating it as "small leaves" from very dense sowings anyway.

If you are asking about cut and come again (CACA) leaves generally fro this time of year go for the oriental greens that actually like a shortening day length. Real Seeds have a good selection, you can sow seperately or just mix a few up together and throw them in. I try and grow a few pure in isolation so I have seed stocks (Note to self do that now.) One of my favourite CACA greens is land cress, really tasty, will just about grow all year round and sooooo much easier than the water based stuff. I think I've got masses of seeds somewhere (if you PM me 4390, I'll let you know and you can send me an SAE for some if you like although that's probably dearer than buying a packet in the shop.)

Originally posted by sequoia View Post
            But does Kale once cooked go cold quite quickly would I have to mix it with potatoes to make a fresh bubble and squeak,and how does that compare to Daubentons kale when cooked.
            The whole going cold thing totally depends on what you do with it when you drain it. For what it's worth (I'm no cook), I trip all my greens into a colander and really quickly stick the pan under to catch some of the hot water. I stick a lid on and stick the pan back on the ring so there is still hot steam going through the leaves/spikes while they drain. That way they can go on the plate last.

Not sure what you are asking about B&S isn't it always mash and cabbage fried up?

VC is the Daubenton Queen but I think a lot will depend on how old the individual leaves you are using are for both types of kale.
            Last edited by marchogaeth; 29-07-2014, 09:03 AM.
            "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X