Fruit in containers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fruit in containers

Hi all, I've discovered that I've got quite a few empty containers sitting about and would like to try and fill them at some point. They vary in size but I would say they start from about 7 litres. I am thinking more towards fruit at the minute, I already have 3 blueberries, 1 pinkberry, 1 blackcurrant, 1 gooseberry, 3 rhubarb and probably 24 or more strawberries all growing happily in similar or smaller containers. What would you suggest that I put in my remaining containers? Thanks
    Remember it's just a bad day, not a bad life 😁

Forgot to add that a few of the strawberries are actually pineberries.

Comment

You could always propagate cuttings from the plants you've already got in the containers? That way you've got more fruit growing of the varieties you like (I'm assuming you like them?).

Comment

You can grow almost anything in containers. The only thing you have to keep your eye on is the watering & feeding as they will need watering more regular than in the ground...........Potty may show up to give you more advice.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Had fancied something different to what I've already got tbh. Maybe I could fancy a few more pinkberry plants and a couple of other goosegogs, like a green and yellow to go with my red one. I did see a lovely dwarf cherry tree in B&Q the other week, it wasn't in a massive pot and I'm sure it would feel right a home in the 60l+ pot I have sitting empty.

Comment

Try a cranberry or lingonberry in ericacious soil cranberries particularly stay on the plant without going over until well after the first frosts

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum
            don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
            remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

I could quite like a cranberry. what is the other thing you mentioned, a lingonberry? Do you have experience with either?

Comment

Originally posted by Moopmoop View Post
                Hi all, I've discovered that I've got quite a few empty containers sitting about and would like to try and fill them at some point. They vary in size but I would say they start from about 7 litres. I am thinking more towards fruit at the minute, I already have 3 blueberries, 1 pinkberry, 1 blackcurrant, 1 gooseberry, 3 rhubarb and probably 24 or more strawberries all growing happily in similar or smaller containers. What would you suggest that I put in my remaining containers? Thanks
                why not try one of the dwarf peach/apricot plants in a tub , my peach tree(in a large pot) is just now fruiting and I have an apricot I am training (to fruit next year) and I leave them out all winter and bring them into a corner of the greenhouse at the end of feb start of march (come on, this is Scotland where you can tell when summer arrives as the rain gets warmer) hand pollinate with a small soft brush and don't let them dry out, as they say on the advert...simples...
                Last edited by BUFFS; 25-07-2014, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X