Yellow eggs on Kale

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellow eggs on Kale

Until recently I have had great crops of both Lacinato and Winterbore kale, they've been my star crops this year since my chard bolted in the heat. I've started to see more and more yellow eggs underneath the leaves however I presume from the cabbage white butterflies which keep landing on it. I wasn't bothered at first as only the oldest lowest leaves were being eaten and there was plenty left for me, but today I've come back to see holes in most of the leaves and big chunks out of some leave including some of the very young small leaves which have been half eaten. I haven't seen a single caterpillar yet surprisingly, but there are several greenish spiders residing on the kale now which I presume are maybe eating the caterpillars.

I'm hoping someone can recommend a way of killing the catterpillars as soon or before they hatch out, something I can spray on without dangerous chemicals which won't make my my kale taste funny. Most of my googling has come up with a spray of soap or washing up liquid mixed with water for organic pest control, but as I juice my kale and put it in smoothies I'm concerned about my morning green smoothie tasting of fairy liquid if I do this.

Very grateful for any advice

Rub off any eggs that you spot. The caterpillars are tiny and disguise themselves by laying along a leafvein or the leaf stem.

Comment

OK thanks veggiechicken, I'll do a daily egg check and rub off any eggs I see (handy that the eggs are bright yellow even if the caterpillars are well disguised)

Comment

All unprotected brassicas are at risk. These winter cabbage seedlings were waiting on my patio table waiting to be big enough for planting out:

Be warned!
        Attached Files
        My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
        Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X