Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French beans cropping too early

Hi There

Due to the excellent weather in Scotland my green beans are some two to three weeks ahead. We are off for three weeks holidays and I believe I could lose quite a bit of the crop. We have no one who can pick them. Do you think if I removed flowers and some mini pods that might delay them for a bit or might that damage the plants?

Cheers
    Terryr

you can't take holidays in the summer if you're a gardener!

Beans form really quickly, so picking off all the flowers now isn't going to make a lot of difference, however you can use them as flageolet beans if the seeds inside get big. I don't eat my beans green, I grow them all for the seeds inside: immature ones are frozen, mature ones are dried & stored in jars
    to eat as "kidney" beans
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
      you can't take holidays in the summer if you're a gardener!

Beans form really quickly, so picking off all the flowers now isn't going to make a lot of difference, however you can use them as flageolet beans if the seeds inside get big. I don't eat my beans green, I grow them all for the seeds inside: immature ones are frozen, mature ones are dried & stored in jars
      to eat as "kidney" beans
      Try telling that to my wee wife Two Sheds

Thanks for that. I think I will try "pruning" half the plants and see how it goes.

Terryr

Comment

Can you get someone to pick them and eat them for you?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X