why are my parsnips carrots?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why are my parsnips carrots?

The title of this should be 'Madderbat Does it Again'!

Back in March I carefully planted a whole load of parsnip seeds into toilet roll holders and was thrilled when they germinated - looking forward to Parsnip Wine this Autumn.
    Because it was my first go at parsnips, and the seeds looked a bit like carrot seeds, I didn't think anything more of it. Until now.
    Down on the lottie, furtling round, noticed the parsnip top growth looked a bit orange and investigated. From the whole packet I appear to have had three rows of carrots and 8 parsnip plants!

I'm not going to ask what I did wrong (apart from not identifying the initial foliage) but wonder - Has this happened to anyone else (or is it just me)???

Goodness, that sounds like a real mystery. Hope you like carrots.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Yes, all is not lost, but am checking carrot wine....

Comment

Had a pack of PSB that grew up illegal (and inedible ) there was, according to the seed company a slight mix up and instead of PSB I had some form of green manure which had been 'mis-packaged'. They did send a replacement pack of PSB (correct seed) so I just got a late crop and some interesting purple flowered Californian thingy for Mum to paint.

Not a total loss.
        The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

Are you sure you didn't just mix your labels up? I've done it loads of times. We had carrots last year that were supposed to be lettuce!!

Comment

My "Sprouting Broccoli", look mysteriously like Savoy Cabbage. I blame the wife for going into the potting shed earier this year and swapping the seeds over and not telling me.

Good job I like cabbage!

Comment

sounds like my fennall put about 20 in to start off in the greenhouse planted out when they was ready and got raddishs it was a bit of a shock
              keep on top of the weeds graham

Comment

Your orange 'parsnip' aren't a new colourful variety are they????!

I think my cabbage are sprouts and my sprouts are cabbage!!!! Time will tell no less!
                Last edited by Nicos; 13-07-2007, 08:29 AM.
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I've been nurturing what I thought were cucmbers in the grrenhouse, only to realise they are corgettes - presumably I got in a muddle with seeds / labels at some point!

Comment

Not liking the french "pencil pod" beans as much as the flat ones, I carefully sowed a rown of Tendergreen, now three of them have turned out to be pencil pod with a bluey mottled skin. I didn't buy any other dwarf beans so there must have been a mix-up.
                    Sue

Comment

Hi Madderdat,

Just for your info, Parsnip seeds are flat and sort of roundish and quite large and carrots are small and slightly comma shaped. If you have a mix if the two in the packet then I would moan LOUDLY to the seed company.

Happy gowing
                      Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

I had a record germination of aubergine seeds this year... until they mysteriously began to resemble strawberries

*note to self, pay more attention when allowing under tens to help with labelling*

Claire
                        I was feeling part of the scenery
                        I walked right out of the machinery
                        My heart going boom boom boom
                        "Hey" he said "Grab your things
                        I've come to take you home."

Comment

LOL! These are great stories! Love it!

I've only had failures, sadly, no strange surprises.

But there's still time...!

Comment

I sowed 2nd lot of sprouts as first lot seemed not to germinate.....
                            came up as leeks.......had 100's of them. how does this happen
                            must be the seed pixies at work

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X