Growing winter onions from seed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing winter onions from seed

I am thinking about trying to grow some Senshyu onions from seed this year. I have read that they should be started off mid August. I found this link about it Onion 'Senshyu Yellow Globe' Seeds are there any experts out there who can advise me please?
    I will probably grow some from sets as well as a back up

Originally posted by Fleurisa View Post
    I am thinking about trying to grow some Senshyu onions from seed this year. I have read that they should be started off mid August. I found this link about it Onion 'Senshyu Yellow Globe' Seeds are there any experts out there who can advise me please?
    I will probably grow some from sets as well as a back up
    Yep, mid August is what it says here too: Vegetable Seeds : Seed for Overwintering Cold-Hardy Onions
    My allotment in pictures

Comment

They have just copied the same bit of writing!

Comment

I have a follow-up question.

I tried overwintering onions from seed last year, sowing my seed direct in mid-August.

But the weeds grew faster than any onions, the picture below was taken in November and when I forked over the plot in spring I couldn't find any baby onions at all.

So my question is, is it possible to start the onions in modules and plant them out later? If so, when to plant out?

Attached Files
        My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
        Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin H View Post
          I have a follow-up question.

I tried overwintering onions from seed last year, sowing my seed direct in mid-August.

But the weeds grew faster than any onions, . . .

So my question is, is it possible to start the onions in modules and plant them out later? If so, when to plant out?
          I assume it is possible, but not sure if it's the best method.

Instead I would do the following:
          • prepare the bed well by removing all weeds thoroughly in July and mid August
          • sow the Onion seed in marked rows, mark the start and end of the row with a white plastic label
          • if it's dry for a couple of days water with tap water (reduce the risk of damping off)
          • keep the bed weed free
          My allotment in pictures

Comment

The link I posted said to start them in seed trays mid August for planting out in October

Comment

I tried them one year from seed with very poor results. First of all there wasn't many seeds in the packet making it not very cost effective and not a lot of these germinated. Far easier with sets methinks as I've had a wonderful crop this year with my autumn planted sets, far surpassing the spring planted ones.

By all means try something new, but as you say, buy spme sets 'Just in case'!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

The link I posted said to start them in seed trays mid August for planting out in October
                So it does

Thank you Fleurisa.

Comment

Not sure why . . . I can see the point in spring, warm is needed for germination and the ground is too cold so sowing in trays indoors or in the greenhouse makes sense. In August the ground is warm so germination shouldn't be an issue as long as watering is taken care of . . . I'm going to try some so we will see
                  My allotment in pictures

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                    By all means try something new, but as you say, buy some sets 'Just in case'!
                    I certainly will, "T&M First Early" did really well for me this year.

Comment

I grow Hi-Ball onions from seed (dobies) most years..sow them in August, transplant into pots when big enough and then plant out later on....Never get onions as big as ones from sets, but they are a good size....usually....
                      I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                      sigpic

Comment

Oh goody,2 days ago i sowed some self saved ones,and await the next step,thanks for raising this one,sets are also a very good backup,and a comparison,
                        sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

spam reported

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X