Musing about autumn beans, garlic and onions

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musing about autumn beans, garlic and onions

Rather than sit in my hotel room in vegetative state in front of the tv I have been browsing through seed catalogues looking at what to plant in the autumn.

Traditionally I have sown:

Aquadolce Claudia with mixed success
    Shakespeare onion sets but not producing very large onions although fairly bot resistant
    Early Purple Wight Garlic with average sized bulbs

What would you recommend apart from the above varieties?

Originally posted by Greenleaves View Post
    Rather than sit in my hotel room in vegetative state in front of the tv I have been browsing through seed catalogues looking at what to plant in the autumn.

Traditionally I have sown:

Aquadolce Claudia with mixed success
    Shakespeare onion sets but not producing very large onions although fairly bot resistant
    Early Purple Wight Garlic with average sized bulbs

What would you recommend apart from the above varieties?
    If you've grown garlic this year, save the best bulbs for splitting into cloves and replanting. I was told that garlic acclimatises to your own growing conditions so they get better and better each year. Certainly garlic is something which does well for me using this method.

And remember that big cloves = big bulbs, so when you're splitting the bulbs up, only plant out the biggest - say - 10 from each bulb.

Comment

Thank you Hazel, I will certainly give it a go

Comment

Hi I planted winter spinach along with bloomsdale last year and had a great harvest. I kept a cloch over the plants and they excelled the crop was great right up until April

Happy gardening

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

I planted Senshyu onions last autumn and they have done well. Five bolted and a couple stayed small, but the others have all grown into decent sized bulbs. I overwintered some cauliflowers and calabrese that I sowed in September/October and they did give me earlier harvests. If you like them then perhaps you could try doing that?

Comment

Douce Provence peas, you get a good crop and they are finished before the pea moths get about that affect spring sown varieties. Sow early Nov.
            Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

I sowed Troy winter onions and they've been amazing. None bolted and several are massive. The rest are simply large.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X