Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covering leeks

Evening all

As I have mentioned in a previous post my leeks are looking resplendent and probably my best at this stage ever. In the past I have never covered them but today I read about leek moth. I know some people cover virtually everything but I like to see the lovely blue green foliage and dont really want a plot that looks like a camping site with debris netting tents everywhere.

Whats the general consensus?

I like to see my plants so try to get away with not covering. I had a really bad problem with cabbage whites last year this year I haven't seen one so I (try) to go with the flow of what working

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum
    Last edited by Mumbles; 22-06-2014, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Around these parts there are definitely fewer cabbage whites about this year compared to last. For some reason there are huge numbers of small tortoiseshells on the wing this year, but they eat nettles not cabbages so it's all good.
      My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
      Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

The only 2 things I cover are Brassicas & Strawberries.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I only have the two, and they won't be getting covered

Comment

Thanks all, naked it is

Comment

I could be making this up - and anyway it doesn't help your foliage admiration but...................
              I think Garden Organic have been doing a trial on cutting down the foliage when the leek moth is a problem and letting the leaves regrow to overwinter.
              Maybe someone with a better memory than mine will come along soon

Comment

I shall wait in anticipation VC

Comment

If you've never covered them before then chances are that you don't have a problem (assuming that you don't get the problem every year anyway) so leave them as is.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

The cabbage whites are all on holibobs in SW France - my brassicas are infested and I don't normally have a problem until the autumn
                    Can't help on the leek moth, although I guess that is what munched its way through my stored garlic this last spring.
                    Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X