Large leeks.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large leeks.

In this area lots of people grow prize leeks which are shown in competition in the autumn. Is it possible to grow a large leek which is already big by July and would it be possible to buy a leek from a nursery and plant it so that it grows bigger by July. Could a leek bought from a green grocer be replanted or does it need to have full roots?

Yes you are right, I know very little about gardening, but need to get my hands on a couple of giant leeks for a theatrical production taking place in Mid July.

Your best bet would be to ask one of the giant leek growers to let you have some. A supermarket leek is a mature plant and if you could get it to reroot, chances are it will go to seed. Leek plants from the garden centre resemble grass and aren't going to grow into an average sized leek in the next 3-4 weeks let alone a prize winner. They are quite slow growing.

Comment

Your best bet is to get someone to make a couple using cardboard tubes and paper (for the leaves) on a stage they would be quite convincing.
      photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Those guys who show their leeks in the autumn usually start them growing Oct/Nov the previous year.

You might find a local gardener who will let your have a couple of his 'won't make the grade' ones. You will get more info from the National Vegetable Society web site or one of our members Aberdeen Plotter.
        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ribbon View Post
          need to get my hands on a couple of giant leeks for a theatrical production
          Ask a gardener and they'll tell you how to grow one. Ask an arts graduate and they'll think outside the box (see, we all need the Arts, Mr Gove)

make them using non-fraying felt

toy leek, but at 9" it's probably too small

another toy, they say 15 ft but they mean inches
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks. Will go to allotments later.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X