Leeks form seed...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leeks form seed...

I have about 25 leeks growing form seed in trays in a potting shed. They just look like very thin long grass and are too tall to stand up...surely this cant be right?

Has anyone esle tried rasing leeks form seed?
    Last edited by Grovsey; 07-06-2007, 07:46 AM.

Yes, they do start off a long weedy lookig grass. Leave them in the seed tray until they thicken up. Like the thread on spring onions, it can be a slow process. they will eventually become about as thick as a pencil. You can then tease them apart - they form a very good root system. don't worry of you brak some of the roots, some people actually trim them so you won't do any harm. You then make a hole about 6" deep with a dibber (the sort of sharpened stake you'd wish you had if you met Dracula!), drop the leek in then fill the hole with water. Sounds mad but it works. Don't backfill the hole, nature will do it for you. I got my leeks going quite early and I put them in the garden last weekend. You don't need to rush - you're ok for another month or so at least. Don't worry about them, best thing to do is forget them (except for watering if dry of course) but mark your diary for a month's time and they'll be HUGE!
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

How deep does the seed tray need to be? My leeks are at the grass stage as well. I'm a bit concerned they will be pot bound but is that ok? Each is a cell 2" (5cm) deep. Do the roots stay quite stumpy? I was going to transplant them this weekend but given the advice above I'll wait until they are pencil thick. Out of interest when did you sow your seeds?
      http://plot62.blogspot.com/

Comment

I had mine in a smallish marge tub. They must have had about 2" compost - max. I sowed them on March 12th and they came through a week later. Had to check my blog - which is the point of having it of course!

Comment

Knew I could rely on the "member of the month"....

Thanks.

Comment

I grew leeks from seed this year and started them off in a seed tray and then potted them on into pots about 6" deep. I think next year I would make long newspaper tubes and sow or pot on into those and then plant out in the tubes and hope they disintegrate.

I planted mine out 2 weeks ago and found that they have really come on since then - I was waiting for them to become 'as thick as a pencil' but they just seemed to have stopped growing - when I came to plant them out I found the roots wrapped around the bottom of the pot and had real trouble in planting them out.

They look much happier now they are in the ground.

Comment

I planted my leeks out today. They had been living outside for weeks. Grovsey, maybe it's time to get them out of the potting shed. Maybe with better light and more natural conditions they will toughen up a bit, then you can plant them out.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

My leeks went outside last week to get them toughened up for planting - Anybody wanna help ????? about 6000 holes to dib
                Last edited by sewer rat; 07-06-2007, 10:07 PM. Reason: Never was much good at multiplication !!
                Rat

British by birth
                Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

is it too late to sow leeks now?g
                  goddess

Comment

Goddess
                    I would think it's too late, however all is not lost - a visit to your local GC should see you able to purchase ready to plant leeks - usually about 30 plants in a 1 litre pot. Be prepared to pay about £3 a pot though.
                    Rat

British by birth
                    Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                    http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

What is the final spacing for leeks please?

Comment

I put mine about 6-8 inches apart, rows about a foot apart. Don't know what the 'official' spacing is - I suppose it depends on whether you want prizewinners of pot leeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Grovsey View Post
                          I have about 25 leeks growing form seed in trays in a potting shed. They just look like very thin long grass and are too tall to stand up...surely this cant be right?

Has anyone esle tried rasing leeks form seed?
                          Grovesy, get them out of the potting shed and into the light. Leeks are perfectly hardy and I've found they actually do better outside, even when still in trays or cells. Mine were looking pathetic, but I've now pricked them out into individual cells, put them outside and they're looking good. They will go onto the allotment when the first potatoes are harvested.

Comment

Will give it a go....they are extremely spindly though!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X