Should my tomatoes be flowering yet?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should my tomatoes be flowering yet?

Hi guys so this is my first time trying to grow tomatos and only my second attempted at growing my own at all.

Now I presumed I wouldn't of got flowers until the tomatos were a lot further along.

This could totally just be my newbie knowledge but thought I would check but you can just see due to the poor photo one starting to come on the first plant on the right.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Chesh; 05-06-2014, 04:33 PM.

The flowers will not start producing until the tomato plant is bigger. Mine have only just started to flower.
    Carrie

Comment

Sometimes they flower when the plant is small due to stress. I notice that all your leaves are wet, when watering tomatoes try to keep the water off the leaves. If their final destination is large pots, try to water from the bottom.
      Good luck!

Comment

Thank you, I had just watered them. I'll remember that thou. They will be going into a larger trough eventually.

Comment

When did you sow the seed?
          Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Mine tend to start flowering when they reach 2ft tall for most cordon varieties. I'm growing Shirley, sungold and gardeners delight and it's this variety which was first to flower. Coincidentally it's also the one nearest the door and also the light.
            Was the same this year and got flowers mid may from a greenhouse plant which gets 5 hours direct light/day and I think this is also a factor. I have my greenhouse temperature generally around 20degrees heated until end of April then take out the heater at the start of May weather permitting. This year I switched it off over Easter when the temps went up.
            P

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

They were sown late Aprilish after Easter that's a definate.

I am going to re pot them into troughts for their final place this weekend I think so they can go out into the blow away instead of being in the lean too which has reinforced glass as it's ceiling. It does get very hot in there when the suns out.

Comment

To have your tomatoes in flower now you need to sow in Jan/Feb.
                Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

I sowed some Tumbling Toms in March and have a few flowers on them already.

I notice Scarlet said not to get the leaves wet and that's been ok so far as I have been watering them from the bottom but what happens when they eventually go outside full time? Must they be kept under cover?
                  sigpic

Comment

They need an umbrella!

Comment

Tumbling tom will be fine outside, mine went out in their hanging baskets this week.
                      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by roitelet View Post
                        To have your tomatoes in flower now you need to sow in Jan/Feb.
                        Not as early as that, mine were sown in mid-march and I have a photo of one flowering on may 20th.
                        Some of the flowers have dropped off and are now tiny tomatoes, one is bigger than a grape!
                        Last edited by esbo; 06-06-2014, 05:20 PM.

Comment

My Sungold plants are 3ft high and in flower, having been planted outside under a blowaway greenhouse cover in early May. Totem, planted at the same time but inside for longer, is also flowering while Chocolate Cherry and Tumbling Tom have buds but no open flowers. All were sown on the same day, 4th April. It really does depend a lot on the variety you are growing. Shirley, sown in January and grown in the house is producing ripe fruit.
                          Last edited by Penellype; 07-06-2014, 03:31 PM.
                          A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X