brown patches on my tomatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brown patches on my tomatoes

What might cause brown patches on my tomatoes?
    At frist I thought it was the very very cold evenings we had, now I am not so sure as it seems to show up on some of the younger leaves.
    Money maker
    Marmande
    S100

all growing outside in very large bags against stone wall

Is it the tomatoes or the leaves which are affected?

If the fruit and the patches co-incide with the flower remnant it is probably blossom end rot, triggered by uneven watering - remove and dispose (not in the compost!) of the fruits and don't let the plants dry out fully.

If it is the tips of the leaves and there is white mould on the underside you have potato blight and you have probably lost the crop. It's a bit early in the year for it thought, normally it's July and August. In this case remove the entire plant and black sack it. You could try a blight resistant variety for a late crop but make sure you grow in clean pots and clean compost away from the sight of the original problem.

Sorry not to be more positive!

Terry
    The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

I've had a bit of browning - well buff coloured mottling you might say - earlier on when they plants got a bit chilled. I don't know what your weather is like at the moment but we're still getting it chilly. It could just be weather conditions. If they are growing strongly let them continue. Blight will knock them back and become nasty.
      Last edited by Flummery; 07-06-2007, 08:37 AM.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I was just coming on here to see if blight has kicked in early this year... my tomatoes didn't look too great and wondered if it could be blight.

Now I'm worried we'll lose our potatoes too...

I'm running a big all-day charity event on Saturday and have no spare time (also work full time) and it's due to be raining by Sunday... but I guess I need to make time to get down there and sort it all out?

Michelle

Comment

Its on the leaves!
          No white mould on the backs, sort of brown, crispy curlled up at the edges.
          darker spots when you turn the leaf over. I thought it was down to the cold, but some of the new younger leaves seem to be going the same way, starting at the edge of the leaf.

Comment

Rummaged in the book shelf for you....

Greenhouse Gardener by David Shelton.

Botrytis Cinerea, commonly grey mould disease. A fungus that attacks in cold, wet spells.

See the image below, the picture bottom right. If you can't read it pm me your email and I'll email the 'full' version!
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Terry, had another look this morning, worse at the very edges of leaves, they are now cripsy and curled, but the centre of the leaves in a lot of cases is still green and looks ok, I hope it's my first thought and all down to 2 very very cold nights +3 in greenhouse!!
              Thanks everyone for all the help so far
              Have a great weekend!
              Last edited by Headfry; 08-06-2007, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Delighted to be wrong! I'd go back to what Flummery said and just blame the weather. Try and keep the temperature even and not too cold.

Good luck

Terry

Comment

I blame the weather for everything -especially me creaky knees!
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Browm Patches

As your Location is the same as ours, we wondered what the Brown Patches
                    were on some of our Produce on the Allotment, after our recent Holiday, and we were told when we had that heavy rain, it was Acid Rain., so some of our Produce had Brown Patches, and also a lot of other Allotment Holders.

Hope this can be of some use.
                    Trilby
                    Last edited by Trilby; 08-06-2007, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X