New asparagus didn't shoot much

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New asparagus didn't shoot much

Is it normal for asparagus crowns planted this Spring not to put out many spears? Obviously I wasn't going to pick them, but wondered if it should be putting up many shoots above ground .... or is it spending this year building a good root system? It's been kept well watered and weeded, and is in free draining, humus rich soil.

Originally posted by ourarka View Post
    Is it normal for asparagus crowns planted this Spring not to put out many spears? Obviously I wasn't going to pick them, but wondered if it should be putting up many shoots above ground .... or is it spending this year building a good root system? It's been kept well watered and weeded, and is in free draining, humus rich soil.
    My crowns planted this year have 1 or 2 shoots per crown, yes they are spending this year and next building up stores for when you start harvesting fully in 2016.
    My allotment in pictures

Comment

Don't worry, this is normal

I sowed mine fom seed 2 years ago and planted them out last year. Most are showing just one spindly spear and a couple have 2 spears. We just require patience.

Comment

Yep! As "Rapture" n "Plot 10" said! They don't put on much growth in year one! This was about the length our's got to back end of the season after planting March last year!

But did harvest a few this year! And we're really nice n fresh "pan fried" in little garlic butter!"

Although a little time consuming regarding "Setting up" has to be worth the wait!
        Attached Files
        "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Originally posted by ourarka View Post
          is it spending this year building a good root system?
          yes, exactly that
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Think it takes 3 years to get a "first" harvest.
            Be careful of the roots, they really dislike being disturbed or damaged or just about anything.

Comment

I think I failed with my new ones this year. I'd ordered them when I hadn't prepared the bed and they turned up really fast, so I just had to put them in. I've just redone the bed, as it didn't look great either. (I think it was a rockery before) Only 3 of them are showing any signs of life. I've planted salad in the bed now, so hopefully I'll get something out of the bed.

I did have them at my allotment, and they were coming up to their 3rd year, and then someon bulldozed the bed they were in!!!
              http://togrowahome.wordpress.com/ making a house a home and a garden home grown.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X