Bolting calabrese.....already !

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolting calabrese.....already !

Just back from a 2 week business trip to India, so despite edited highlights of goings on at the plot every other night or so from Mrs Vince, obviously I was chomping at the bit to go and have a look see!

All is well, apart from the fact Mrs V has noshed most of the polytunnel strawbs!! Peas, broadies, baby carrots, asparagus, globe artichokes, all ready to harvest.....amazing how much things grow in just 2 weeks, but there be strange goings on in the brassica seed bed....

Most things are looking good, broccolis, kales, brussels, romanescos, cabbages etc, all are up to 6 inches tall, but the calabrese has chucked up a 9 inch stem and it is flowering! Any ideas what has caused this? I gather it's not been especially cold here, and Mrs V has watered adequately.
    Are y'oroight booy?

Where are your calabrese? They tend to bolt early if they're too hot, if they're in the polytunnel for example? Assuming they were sown this year I'd expect them to be pretty small (mine are still seedlings but I sow for an autumn crop) so something must have stressed them - perhaps they missed you

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

they're in open ground in a brassica cage. they're beside the polytunnel so maybe the sun is reflecting off it and making them too hot...but if that'sthe case, nothing else has bolted. Very strange
      Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

My calabrese bolt if I look at them funny, which is why I say every year that I'm not growing them again. Yes I'm trying again this year. Still in pots at the mo though.

Comment

Last year I kept mine in fibre pots at home until they were really well established. It was quite late when I planted them (pots included) - maybe late June.

Despite the hot summer, I only gave the root area a good soaking once a week (thanks to advice on here from Twosheds and Rustylady).

A doze of nettle tea every fortnight - and they were the first successful Calabrese I've grown, with absolutely humongous main heads.

I'm trying the same this year.
          .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X