Strawberries flowering - confused

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strawberries flowering - confused

I have had a look over posts on the site, just wondering if anyone can help.

I took some runners from last years strawberries and they arnt flowering, which I read that this can happen, however I gave some of my runners to my boss. When I was speaking to him today he says he has lots of flowers on his plants.

So now I am wondering if I have done anything wrong, there is a difference in that I have mine in containers and I think hes got his planted at his allotment!

Am I doing something wrong to have no flowers on them at all? I have fed them a few times with slow release pellets and the all have big leaves but that's all.

Advice appreciated M x

I'm guessing it could be the feed, your boss's soil I would imagine to have more organic matter so they will benefit from that. Have you asked him if he has fed his. I never feed mine.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Hi Thanks for your reply Bigmallly, No he hasn't fed his! So does this mean my strawberries are a lost cause this year with no flowers?

Comment

They may come but yes the flowers do become the strawberry.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Sounds to me like you have treated them too well, they have put on lush growth at the expense of flowers. If it was me I would keep them dry for a while, things flower when they think they are going to die, its a last ditch attempt at survival.
          Of course I may be wrong, it would be nice to know if any other members agree with this.
          The other thing is if they are new plants many people pull the flowers off in order to make stronger plants next year.
          Last edited by Bill HH; 20-05-2014, 09:41 PM.
          photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

I feed mine with tomato food once the flowers start. The slow release granules are aimed more at growth than fruiting, but there's still chance for them to flower yet. You and your boss won't have subjected them to identical conditions, but even if you did, they still might flower at different times. I'd ease off the feed until you see flower heads, then switch to tom feed.

In the meantime, just water them when they really need it. Wait till they wilt a little then give them a good drenching. Don't judge the soil/compost by the surface, as the strawbs have good roots that will slurp up the moisture from the bottom of the pots when the top looks very dry. Wait till the plants tell you they're thirsty - then give them a real good soaking. Two or three watering sessions like that, and they might decide that they ought to start working for a living

Comment

My plot neighbour had issues with her strawbs last year and put it down to too much tlc, she'd fed them quite well and they really didn't like it. I neglected mine and had the best crop ever.

I also read that they should only be fed once at the beginning of the year, then left to get on with it.

Trial and error I suppose.
              My blog - http://carol-allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have two different patches if straws at the ok one has begun to flower, one hasn't...I'm just seeing how it goes

Comment

Thanks for the good replies, I will wait to water and see what happens

Comment

If yours were in pots were they kept warm away from frost etc? they dont ned to be but people often do keep them safe in cold weather
                    the ones outside will have been much cooler for longer , even if both outside they may just hve been a lot more exposed position so got there winter chill earlier,
                    they need a winter cod period of a certain number of hours to flower, keep them warmer and its longer before they flower
                    Last edited by starloc; 22-05-2014, 11:11 AM.
                    Living off grid and growing my own food in Bulgaria.....

Comment

Yes, that's correct about them needing a period of really cold for them to trigger flowering. My runners are in pots left outside all winter, they have a few flowers on them now.
                      Or are your runners definitely of the same variety of strawberry? I have a mix of early to late croppers
                      Last edited by Fleurisa; 22-05-2014, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Hi starloc yes they have been out all winter, with a fleece when it was really icy

Comment

I know this bears no resemblance to yours but mine are in well rotted manure in the kite, no feed has been given & I have had some belters so far with loads more to come. The outside ones have been left to get on with it & also have plenty of flowers...............so stop spoiling 'em.........

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                            I know this bears no resemblance to yours but mine are in well rotted manure in the kite, no feed has been given & I have had some belters so far with loads more to come. The outside ones have been left to get on with it & also have plenty of flowers...............so stop spoiling 'em.........
                            I've heard similia things about tomatoes Mall. Treat them mean and they ripen quicker, feed them and you just get a mass of green toms that'll all ripen at once in autumn ( if they survive blight) I'm going to be a total bastard to mine.....water but NO FOOD!
                            Hussar!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X