Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brown areas on our chillies!

Hi Gang,

Just back from the plot for a brew (ran out of coffee!) and thought I'd ask about something we've just seen on our 3 Big Jim chillies and also on some of our Naga Jolokia chillies. It seems to be a light browning of the skin of the chillies themselves, first thing this morning they felt almost soft where it has appeared, but now have hardened back up a bit. The plants themselves look completely healthy, as does everything else in the greenhouse on plot1 where they are planted into the borders, Lee thought it may be that they are changing colour (ripening), but it doesnt look like that to me, any ideas anyone?

I'll try and get a piccy when we go back down the plot after a brew!

Please tell me its nothing to worry about, our Big Jims are getting big now and I'd hate to loose them before we have got them as big as we can, not to mentions I was looking forwards to eating them!
    Blessings
    Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
    Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
    Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
    On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Hmmm....piccies would help, but i did have similar sounding marks on my chillies last year.

It only seemed to affect my Joe's long and was a sot of rot thing - some weren't too badly affected and could still be eaten - i even dried lots that had mild infections and they're fine. i wouldn't worry too much - it may well be another blip what with the moisture and temperature fluctuations.
    There's vegetable growing in the family, but I must be adopted
    Happy Gardening!

Comment

Hi Protea,

Thanks for the reply, and the reassurances! I had a dreadful feeling it may have been something I'd done!

Ok, piccies below, any other or more ideas anyone? On the Nagas we've about 30 chillies and its only on 2 of them, on the Big Jim we've 4 chillies, and as can be seen its on 3 of them!

First piccy is of the Big Jims, second is of the Naga Jolokias
      Attached Files
      Blessings
      Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx

Comment

Ah yes, definately looks like what i had last year. I don't know what caused it but equally i didn't do anything about it and all was not lost! You'll probably find that it'll get worse on the ones affected so i'd have them off now - the plant will only be encouraged ot produce more anyway. You can always measure the big jims now, incase you don't get anything bigger (but i'm sure you will)

Your big Jims look great! mine are really wierd and knobbly
        Last edited by Protea; 05-06-2007, 09:54 PM. Reason: It would help if i could spell - fat finger syndrome i swear!
        There's vegetable growing in the family, but I must be adopted
        Happy Gardening!

Comment

Thanks Protea, barring any other advice I'll measure and photo them at the weekend and then harvest them! No fair, I was hoping they were gonna get huge with them being so early!
          Blessings
          Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X