Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cobra french beans planted out too soon?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cobra french beans planted out too soon?

Here are a few pics of some cobra french bean leaves.

I did harden them off, and planted them out approx 3 weeks ago.

THen we had all that horrific wind for a couple of days

Needless to say the leaves are yellowing badly and then going brown, shrivelling etc....

I have not grown french beans before.

I guess I planted these out about a month too early?

Or could there be another cause for this happening?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by chilli_grower; 17-05-2014, 06:53 PM. Reason: missed a word out!

Too early for French beans, they really like the warmer weather. They may recover but I think you will have a better crop if you start again, they only take a couple of days to raise their heads.

Comment

I think that is a good idea..... I cant believe the cold/wind can cause so much damage so quickly...

Comment

The weather was cold last year and even though I planted out in June I had a similar problem.

Comment

8 more just sown in pots!!!! I have no more seed left now!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by chilli_grower View Post
            I think that is a good idea..... I cant believe the cold/wind can cause so much damage so quickly...
            They hate wind - it dries out their leaves Even in Summer prolonged drying winds can do damage ...

Worth thinking about some long-term windbreak / shelter around your plot. If it is at home I'd go for hedges, on an allotment (presumably no space for hedges between plots) I would go for scaffolders debris netting. Even if planting a hedge it would be worth putting debris netting up - it will allow the hedge to grow faster, due to less transpiration-shock, too.
            K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Thanks Kristen,

They are evidently not as 'tough' as runner beans. (I incorrectly assumed they would be the same)!

Ok, a wind break it is...

Thanks for the tip

Comment

You could save the seed from them, and grow on next year rather than buying more seed (not expensive I know but french beans are really easy to save seed from- i grow them solely for the seed (to eat mind)).

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

I was going to suggest you just wrap some fleece sideways across the row on both sides to act as a wind break.
                  If the growing tips are fine then they will recover.
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Sadly a few of the growing tips have either snapped off or rotted away.

More seedlings needed asap!!!!!

Comment

My experience with French Beans is they're always looking for a reason to die! Got a good crop last year for the first time ever. The books say they're easy to grow so now I've had one good crop I'm happy to let them get on and if they don't buck their ideas up they're out and something else is in their place

Comment

last year we planted out our French beans in april and they sat looking sorry for themselves til summer finally arrived in mid june, within days they started putting on loads of growth and even though summer came to an abrupt end with frosty nights at the end of august we got a fairly good crop, but I didn't provide heat, just shelter to get them started in the cold greenhouse so it wasn't too much of a shock for them when planted out, fingers crossed for this year now.....

Comment

not quite as easy as I thought, evidently.

But - I will get a load more sown and try again!!!

Time is still on my side.

Comment

Originally posted by chilli_grower View Post
                            not quite as easy as I thought, evidently.

But - I will get a load more sown and try again!!!

Time is still on my side.
                            whatever else we have, its optimism that keeps us gardeners coming back each year....good luck..

Comment

I never had trouble with French beans until this year! They've always grown really well for me, but a couple of weeks ago I put a few out in pots in a sheltered position and most of them died. Exact same symptoms as yours. I started some more off indoors and they're now in the greenhouse at night but outside during the day, since it's been such lovely sunny weather for the past few days. The new plants are thriving, but I'll be a lot more careful with them from now on!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X