Carrots

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrots

Sorry - me again! Can I sow carrots now in a pot? Can they stay in a pot? Also are there any varieties you recommend?
    See our brand new allotment - a work in progress - at http://catherineandclaresallotment.blogspot.com/

Any stump rooted varieties will do well in a pot - I've some Parmex on the go at the mo - normal pot advice applies i.e. keep well watered as containers easily dry out, and give 'em a feed.

Comment

Thanks for your help and advice Hazel!
      See our brand new allotment - a work in progress - at http://catherineandclaresallotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm sure I have some spare seed, if you want to give them a go, Newbie - send me a pm with your addy and I'll get some off to you. I've some spare lettuce if you want too, which would also do well in pots if you fancy them.

Comment

I've just sent u my email - hope you have it! Thats so kind, thanks so much!

Comment

I'm growing Early Nantes - the pot needs to be reasonably deep - and don't sow too thickly!
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I've sown carrot seeds in pots three times now, seen them pop above the soil, get to one or two inches tall and looking really healthy ... turned my back overnight and gone out next morning to find every single one completely vanished! Watch out for slugs on your pots newbie, I think they love baby carrot seedlings!! (I presume it was slugs, cant think of any other reason for them to have vanished literally overnight).
              Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Thanks moggsue - I'll watch that one! Who on earth invented slugs?!!! They've butchered all my marigolds I planted next to my beans too!

Comment

I've put copper tape around my pots of lettuce and that seems to keep them off. Didnt think i'd have to bother with carrots, but it seems they're even tastier than lettuce so I'm off to buy some more copper tape - I do recommend you use somethign to keep them away. They say everything on earth has its place, but slugs???? Still, if they've left your beans alone ..
                  Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

ive put my baby carrots into a small trough like pot theyre doing well now but theyve taken forever to grow not to mention after dp kicked over the pot when they where tiny one side of the pot is bare fingers crossed theres no carrot fly when its time to eat them !

Comment

I havent got as far as worryign about carrot fly, slugs are enough for me at the mo! But my carrots have taken forever to get anywhere as well - do you think its the changing weather, cold then hot then cold again?

Comment

Can you see any slug or snail trails? It was birds that picked off my carrot seedlings this year - I wonder if that's your problem.

With regard to varieties for pots, choose those which are for producing small, early roots rather than an autumn maincrop variety. There's no problem using a pot about 10 inches across and 10-12 inches high - that's roughly the size of mine. If you can, avoid broadcast sowing - I find it a real pig to thin the seedlings - and it's a waste, to be honest. Take your time and place seeds every 3/4 inch or so around the pot, covering them with compost.

Comment

No, to be fair I havent actually seen any trails cutec - but the lettuce and potatoes I have in pots were losing bits of leaves which I presumed to be slugs. Since using copper tape round the pots I havent lost any more leaf, but maybe thats coincidence. I never thought of birds. The carrots sprout to about an inch then all just vanish overnight? I think Ineed to find out what's happening before trying another sowing, I've already lost three and am about to give up! The variety I started with was early nantes, the last sowing was amsterdam forcing. I did just throw them around the pot rather, I'll be more careful next time!!

Comment

My pots are in the greenhouse so I felt safe to use a few slug pellets after they cleaned out half of my second lot of seedlings! I had always thought I had a germination problem with directly sown carrots. I now suspect it was slugs. Off to sow more carrots shortly - my third pot are at the feathery stage.
                            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I sowed for the fourth time last night, but have never seen any reach the feathery stage yet - fourth time lucky!! I now have copper tape around the pot. I was going to sow some directly in the plot as well, reserved a space especially, but now i'm not so sure that's a good idea since I cant keep the slugs off and they definitely love newly sprouted carrot tops. And I was soooo looking forward to home grown carrots!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X