Onions bolting

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onions bolting

My over wintered Senshyu are starting bolt. They are golf ball size and smaller. Is there any thing to be done or is it game over. Not all are bolting about 5 out of 50 so far

I don't know about this, but my neighbour, who is pretty experienced at growing veg, says you can just remove the flowers as and when they appear. If nothing else, you won't do any more harm!

Comment

As above remove the seed head,and use those onions first as they don't keep.

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

This always seems to happen with autumn planted onions, they don't store once they have flowered. I use them first and if they start to go soft in the middle, freeze.

Comment

Hi mine have just started to seed but caught in time just nip them out and keep an eye on the rest of them.

I have already started to lift and eat some of mine as an onion they say is an onion and have plenty to,lift in the time before I need the ground to plant another crop

Happy gardening

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

Onions will bolt in fluctuating temperatures, and our springs are typically warm-cold-warm-cold-cold. You never know what clothes to wear, and the onions don't know whether it's still winter or if it's summer and time to make seed

I've got fewer bolters than usual this year, because our spring has been pretty steady temp wise: mild apart from one frosty night

I'm pulling the bolters, slicing & freezing the flesh
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X