Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sweet potatoes - potted them up what next?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet potatoes - potted them up what next?

Morning all,

Was just wondering what should I do after I have potted up my sweet potatoes?

Should I put them in a larger container for the rest of their lives or in a raised bed/in the ground?

How can I get the most from them?

Many thanks,

Samuel

Sweet potatoes, like to ramble, like a vine Samuel, so need some space, I'd put them in the ground. I tried a couple last year, but put them in much too late, so only got very small crop, hope yours do well.
    DottyR

Comment

When I grew them I trained the vines up some strings, in the polytunnel. We got a really good crop which was very sweet.

But after all the trouble of getting the tubers to produce shoots, and then potting them on, I do wonder if they taste any better than a nice parsnip which is so easy to grow anyway!

But if we didn't try all these unusual things, we wouldn't be proper gardeners!

Comment

They also need warmth so are much better under cover

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I found that they ramble and take up a large space, however the sweet potatoes are made directly beneath the main plant (if that makes sense) .... i.e. no potatoes are produced from the rambling bits

Comment

I grew them for a couple of years, both outdoors in the ground and in the greenhouse in large pots. The outdoor ones produced a few pink worms. The greenhouse ones gave me a few decent sized ones. Having said that you are "down South" so you'll probably get a better summer.

I don't grow them anymore. I give the space over to melons.

Comment

Originally posted by dim View Post
              I found that they ramble and take up a large space, however the sweet potatoes are made directly beneath the main plant (if that makes sense) .... i.e. no potatoes are produced from the rambling bits
              I was lead to believe that if you let the vines ramble on the soil, roots will grow directly below the leaves to give a larger crop.
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------
              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
              -----------------------------------------------------------
              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Have a read of this Samuel http://www.sowingnewseeds.org.uk/pdf...20Potatoes.pdf
                As BM says, where the vines touch the ground, tubers will grow, so give them some space if you want to make the most of them..

Comment

Also trying them this year for the first proper time. I may plant in the greenhouse then, as hopefully we will get a second greenhouse shortly!
                  http://togrowahome.wordpress.com/ making a house a home and a garden home grown.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                    Have a read of this Samuel http://www.sowingnewseeds.org.uk/pdf...20Potatoes.pdf
                    As BM says, where the vines touch the ground, tubers will grow, so give them some space if you want to make the most of them..
                    I found that there were no sweet potatoes beneath the rambling vines and the only potatoes were directly beneath the main stem

but saying that, I planted the suttons grafted variety, so perhaps that was the reason ... they take a lot of space for the yield

Comment

I've never grown them, Dim, so can't speak from experience, just what was in the Sowing New seeds link.

Comment

Have just planted out 2 Sweet Potatoes in the kite, I was saving them for slips but this thread made me plant them so it's all your faults...............
                        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                        -----------------------------------------------------------
                        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X