Raspberries...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberries...

Got some cuttings from my bro a few weeks ago. I think they're Autumn Bliss and they weren't what I was expecting... Just 3 very short bits of stem around the edge of each pot - I got 2 pots from him. However, I think they are doing something!

One is about a foot tall now, whilst most of the others look like there is new growth coming right at the base, level with the soil.

Should I be potting them up or doing anything with them?

I don't really want to put them in the ground yet as the bit of allotment that I have earmarked, hasn't been cleared yet. I was hoping I could plant them June/July time?

Anything else I need to know?

Thanks in advance...

Originally posted by 68lbs View Post
    most of the others look like there is new growth coming right at the base
    Yes that's right, that's where this year's fruiting canes come from. You cut all the old canes down to the ground after fruiting (although you can leave it until end of February)

They'll be fine in pots until you have the space cleared. Keep them cooler so they can make root growth, don't leave them in baking sun
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
      Yes that's right, that's where this year's fruiting canes come from. You cut all the old canes down to the ground after fruiting (although you can leave it until end of February)

They'll be fine in pots until you have the space cleared. Keep them cooler so they can make root growth, don't leave them in baking sun
      Also well watered, but not standing in water as that will kill them.
      Feed the soil, not the plants.
      (helps if you have cluckies)

Man v Squirrels, pigeons & Ants
      Bob

Comment

Help

Ok so have 3 lots of Raspberries, Early, Mid, Late.

I did not label / log correctly so I forgot what are what.

I cut them all down to ground level in Feb, am I right in thinking only the Late ones will fruit this year?
        Cheers

Danny

Comment

Originally posted by broadway View Post
          I cut them all down to ground level in Feb, am I right in thinking only the Late ones will fruit this year?
          That's correct. You'll get a crop from the late ones in the autumn then the early ones next summer on the canes that grow this year.
          My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
          Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Thanks Martin
            Cheers

Danny

Comment

Originally posted by broadway View Post
              In future years you cut them down after fruiting. For the Autumn Fruiting ones that will be all the canes - new canes will grow, and fruit, next year. Summer fruiting ones will grow canes this year, and fruit on those canes next year, so when you cut down the canes that have carried fruit you will only be cutting out about 50% of the Summer fruiting canes.
              K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X