X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Raspberries

As the title says
    Does anyone have them?

I have just purchased Starlight from Chris Bowers and a Google search doesn't turn up anything about it at all. In the process I also discovered that Blackmoor have Jewel for sale so I took advantage of their special offer and bought Sugana and Gelb Sugana as well and we'll see how they compare with what we already have

And the supposed advantages of black raspberries are...? Not many people seem overly keen on the yellow ones.

Comment

I have a few blacks
      jewel, Cumberland, blackhawk, and a few others I managed to import from America at some cost a fair few years ago now,

star light is a variety that seemed to disappear for a bit of time, I collect soft fruit and any fruit books I can lay my hands on new and ancient, and starlight is only mentioned once with 2 lines of information, quite rare, very interesting someone is now stocking it,

I tended to find they suffered problems in winter outdoors so I grow them in my polytunnel for safety from the elements, I find taste of them interesting and really not to everyones taste at all, more negative than positive reviews, but I like them, some can have what as described as a burnt egg taste, strange ive heard a few people describe exactly the same, ive never tasted burnt eggs so not sure about that,

advantages, hmmm, they do come semi true from seeds, ive experimented quite a lot with black raspberries, they tend to have similar colour berries to parents ranging from blue-purple -black so worth raising a few seedlings, cane growth and colour is variable, ive had some very pale green canes from purple cane parents, taste is ok if your into something bit different , nice colour canes quite showy

disadvantages, the berries can and be more seedy than their red and yellow cousins, winter die back can be a problem, and have a different flavour not to everyone taste

Comment

picture of a black raspberry I bred and raised myself
        Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X