Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I pot on my tomatoes at this late stage?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I pot on my tomatoes at this late stage?

In my ignorance I sowed tomato seeds in cell trays *far* too early this year and so have quite big plants now that I can't put out for another 2-3 weeks at the earliest. It's not doing the plants any good but I can't do much about it. I have no greenhouse or conservatory so the poor things are stuck inside.

Several of them have roots sticking out of the bottom of the pot. Ordinarily I'd pot on like a shot, but as they are now so close to going outside, is it worth it or will it disrupt them unnecessarily?

Thank you.
    Is there anything that isn't made better by half an hour pottering in the veg patch?

I would, days are warming up and they will romp away. In 3 weeks can can put on a lot of growth.

Comment

If you've got the space I'd pot them on again, they may be quite pot bound in a few weeks time.

Comment

Thanks both, I'll do it over the weekend.
        Is there anything that isn't made better by half an hour pottering in the veg patch?

Comment

I would too, for just the reasons Scarlet gave. Also, not doing it will stress the plant which may make it vulnerable to disease (and for the remainder of this season, even if well looked after thereafter)
          K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Yes, I do fear that in my enthusiasm I haven't given them the best start in life, but I'll know better for next year. Thanks again everyone

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X