Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chickens in the rain

Hi,

Is it normal for chickens to happily run around in the rain? My girls are 10 weeks old and have free run of the orchard, which is surrounded by an electric fence for fox protection. Today is the first rainy day since the electric fence was put up and I expected them to stay in their coop in the shelter but they are out scratching in the dirt. They go in for a bit and then come back out. I don't know whether this is normal or if I should put them in the coop and close the door?

Thanks,
    Nikki (worried new mother hen!)

Mine tend to stay inside in the rain but they are 2 years old so have learned that they are not keen on wet feathers. I have chased them in a few times but it doesn't seem to bother them. They are pretty smart birds, as long as they have access to shelter they will go in if they want to. I wouldn't worry

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

Mine quite like the rain, makes the worms easier to find! Their jungle heritage may mean they are OK up to and perhaps including monsoons!
      The cats' valet.

Comment

Healthy chickens have a gland that secretes oil, this waterproofs their feathers better than most raincoats.So worry not.
        photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

When I kept hens, the only thing that seemed to keep them indoors was deep snow, purely because they couldn't walk through it.
          Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
          Endless wonder.

Comment

Mine are always out too.

Comment

Mine love the rain. I'm sure it's because the bugs and worms are great wet.
              Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

mine roost outside, even in the rain. I wouldn't worry, they@ll work it out.....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X